Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STI5 - Transmission Upgrade Options?

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2005, 09:28 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI5 - Transmission Upgrade Options?

Hi folks,

I have an STI5 Type R, which is currently making around 320bhp/305ft/lbs. The original clutch has done 45k miles now, and has started to compain when given a lot of the loud pedal. So my plan is to get the clutch changed for an AP (etc.) upgraded clutch at the next sevice.

I may also have the gearbox looked at as there's an occasional crunch selecting 5th, a common problem with MY99 cars.

What are the possibilities of upgrading the gearbox? Is it possible to get the box rebuilt with stronger (maybe straight cut) gears that will take more abuse?

I'm planning to take it along to RallyColin at TVM, but haven't spoken to him yet. Just wondering what options are available really.

Old 04 October 2005, 07:23 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I know someone who used Rally Colin to good effect!

You could talk to Paul (Pavlo) at Zen Performance as they supply a wide range of kits for the 5 speeder.
Paul and several others drag race on these transmissions so have proven their credentials. (IMHO)

Find a thread on Drivetrain or Projects by 'Bob'5' as Bob has just done what you are thinking about.

Graham.
Old 04 October 2005, 08:19 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

For aftermarket gearsets you'll be looking at £2.5k+ and you'll have to consider if straight-cut is right for you.

TypeR gearsets are meant to be quite solid anyway.

Only sounds like a syncro on the way out.

Bob
Old 04 October 2005, 08:42 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Cheers Bob

I was slowly working through your threads trying to find a mention of gearboxes.

Any idea how much a synchro would cost to repair/overhaul, even roughly? I don't think it's too bad at the moment, so a total rebuild is probably way overkill. Maybe i'll just have the synchro/clutch/flywheel done for now and leave it at that for a while.
Old 04 October 2005, 09:09 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Est:

£200 for gearbox removal and re-fit
£300-400 for the box build
? cost of syncro and gearbox oil

The cost of doing the clutch and fly would be minimal as the box would already be out. So in reality you'll be looking at £300-400extra (+syncro & oil cost) ontop of the price you'll pay for a clutch change.

Zen Performance have competitive rates and did the build on mine.
Old 04 October 2005, 10:06 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, that sounds do-able.

Whereabouts are Zen located, and do they have a website? Is this a drive in / drive out type of job that could be done in 1 day, or the sort where I'd have to leave the car there?

Must look at clutch/flywheel options now.....

Cheers
Old 04 October 2005, 10:16 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Located in Wellingborough nr Northampton.

Website should be zenperformance.co.uk or .com (or similar)

Exedy uprated organic works well.

Bob

Trending Topics

Old 04 October 2005, 10:43 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

I would imagine it would mean leaving the car there if the gearbox was going to be overhauled. Theres no saying that everything else in there will be ok to reuse and might be worth changing other worn items.

Unless they have gear boxes ready to use and swap for your own?
Old 05 October 2005, 07:37 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you jst want a box fix/clutch change then maybe call David at www.apiengines.com
They are south of Warwick.

I would be surprised if anyone has a V5 box on the shelf, rebuilt with warrantee?

Graham.
Old 05 October 2005, 12:38 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Typically we are looking at having to replace at least one synchro on a box, and the MY99/00 boxes require a new 4th gear synchro to use on the PPG 3rd gear (ditching the factory 3rd synchro).

We are currenlty rethinking our box rebuild cost scheme, as they do vary depending on condition. While you can rebuild a box by not cleaning it, and assuming that if it's not broken it's going to be okay, I much prefer to get everything clean and start from scratch so to speak. Old boxes that may have had synchros or whatnot replaced in the past can have bits of silicone debris in the oilways of the hollow outputshafts. A box that has stripped a gear and been driven on takes a lot of cleaning to get every last bit of metalic paste out of it.

Bob's numbers are pretty close, a replacement synchro is anything from £22 for 3/4/5 to £46 for 1st, diff bearings are about £55 per pair and may be required if the box has been run with a lot of debris, or you are replacing the the front diff with something better.

Replacement billet steel selector forks are also available, and a worthwhile upgrade if your standard ones are showing signs of abuse. I generally do the 1/2 and 3/4 fork leaving the 5/R fork standard, unless you are using 5th gear on the 1/4 mile in which case 5/R fork is probably a good idea.

The synchro kits retail for £1895+vat and can be had with straight cut or semi-helical gears.

Paul
Old 05 October 2005, 05:49 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info Paul, that's given me plenty of food for thought.

I wan't looking to have anything done for 3 months or so (next service time), so I'll have a think then give you a shout nearer the time.

<must do overtime to buy straight cut gears>
Old 28 December 2005, 10:21 PM
S.P.Developments
Scooby Senior

Location: In the workshop or under some one elses car. PROJECT RA 09 IS GO.

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
Typically we are looking at having to replace at least one synchro on a box, and the MY99/00 boxes require a new 4th gear synchro to use on the PPG 3rd gear (ditching the factory 3rd synchro).

We are currenlty rethinking our box rebuild cost scheme, as they do vary depending on condition. While you can rebuild a box by not cleaning it, and assuming that if it's not broken it's going to be okay, I much prefer to get everything clean and start from scratch so to speak. Old boxes that may have had synchros or whatnot replaced in the past can have bits of silicone debris in the oilways of the hollow outputshafts. A box that has stripped a gear and been driven on takes a lot of cleaning to get every last bit of metalic paste out of it.

Bob's numbers are pretty close, a replacement synchro is anything from £22 for 3/4/5 to £46 for 1st, diff bearings are about £55 per pair and may be required if the box has been run with a lot of debris, or you are replacing the the front diff with something better.

Replacement billet steel selector forks are also available, and a worthwhile upgrade if your standard ones are showing signs of abuse. I generally do the 1/2 and 3/4 fork leaving the 5/R fork standard, unless you are using 5th gear on the 1/4 mile in which case 5/R fork is probably a good idea.

The synchro kits retail for £1895+vat and can be had with straight cut or semi-helical gears.

Paul
What ratios would this kit consist of, car to be used for hill climbing..