Possible gearbox prob?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2005, 09:51 PM
HHH
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible gearbox prob?

Hi all,
I own a MY00 and recently I have been getting a rattle type noise coming from the centre of the dash when I put my foot down. As Ive gained some speed, ie 20 mph + I can hear like a knocking/dull rattle coming from the gearbox/centre console.
The noise has got gradually louder.
I popped in to Kwik Fit where my pal works and we stuck the scoob on the ramp and while it was on the ramp (all 4 wheels in the air) I drove the car as you normally would. My mate stood underneath and he said he could hear a rattle/knocking noise coming from the gearbox or around it.
However there are no problems changing through the gears and there is no oil leak.
Has anyone got any suggestions or had a similar problem? Is my gearbox or diff on its way out? Any help appreciated!

Rgds,
H
Old 30 August 2005, 10:23 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it de-catted.. or do you still have the heatshields around the downpipe..??? it's possible that the heatshield has rusted through and started to rattle..... maybe..??
Old 30 August 2005, 10:29 PM
HHH
Scooby Newbie

Ron,

It is decatted however I think the heat shields are still present. I will look into that theory. Thanks.

I know that the rattle/knocking is present only when the car is in motion. If I rev the car when its at standstill there is no noise whatsoever..

I honestly hope it is something as cheap as a heatshield as money is tight at the mo!

Rgds,

H
Old 16 October 2005, 07:27 PM
CJK
Scooby Newbie

Question Rattle in the Gear box

Hi H

Did you ever find out what the problem with the rattle was. My 1998 Impreza has developed what appears to be the same problem.

At the moment I am looking at getting a recon gear box and paying one of the scooby garages to change it for me. (A very costly affair which I would rather avoid if possible)

Thanks
CJK