Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox fault - recall or potential reclaim from Subaru???

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2005, 08:50 AM
DomGG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox fault - recall or potential reclaim from Subaru???

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help. I have a 1999 T reg Impreza Turbo 5dr, with which I have had a problem with the gearbox. It kept slipping out of fifth gear end finally I could not get it in any gear at all. Apparently this was a common fault.

I took it to my local garage and they have reconditioned it at great expese. It required two new bearings and a new synchromesh. The syncomesh I was informed was modified from the original one and had to be sourced in Japan as demand for them was so high. The reason the new synchromesh was modified was that the original one had a design fault, according to Subaru. Which begs the question "Why should I have to pay if there was a design fault in the orignal one?!?". Does anyone know if there is any way that I can recoup any of the money from Subaru?

Any suggestions gratefully received!!

Thanks.

Dom
Old 25 August 2005, 09:33 AM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dom,

write a letter to Subaru Customer Services detailing your experiences and enclose a copy of your invoice from the dealer from the work, along with a copy of your service history to show the car has been maintained to their recommended schedule etc. and ask them to consider a goodwill payment. Might also help to ask the dealer to do the same.

I have heard of cases where Subaru UK will pay for the parts or the labour, but this is normally approved before the work commences.