Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Help! Gearbox,clutch/assembly etc

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2005, 07:37 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Gearbox,clutch/assembly etc

Had to have the car recovered yesterday(5 Type R) and I just need pointing in the right direction to what maybe the fault could be.

Basically, after comming back from Santa pod the Knocklink was showing unusual activity whilst gently accelerating and changing gear listened more carefully with the windows down and could hear a metalic noise comming from the front. After stopping the car you could hear a faint ticking noise from underneath the car (idle, tempreture fine). Nursed it to a local petrol station where the noise was more constant and louder and would increase with revs in neutral or in gear.

It seemed to be fine in selecting gear. I have noticed in months building up to this that there has been some intermitent signs, such as on occasion feeling faint juddering through the clutch peddle, sometimes the clutch peddle sticks to the floor after a hard run and also unusual activity on the knocklink which would disappear by depressing the clutch a little (but not to far to take out of gear), this would come and go and was never constant. I have had this looked at before but no problems were found.

I hope somebody can help

simb

Last edited by simb 2; 08 August 2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09 August 2005, 06:22 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Bttt
Old 09 August 2005, 08:59 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

IMHO the noise sounds like its big end related, ie engine fubard based on your first paragraph.

Though your 2nd paragraph suggests different.

When you say you have had it looked at before. What exactly did they look at, and do?

Steven
Old 09 August 2005, 10:41 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by P20SPD
IMHO the noise sounds like its big end related, ie engine fubard based on your first paragraph.

When you say you have had it looked at before. What exactly did they look at, and do?

Steven
i know what your saying about it being big end but when si first stoped, whilst the car was on idle there was a matalic ratle would that sort of noise come if it was the big end.
Old 10 August 2005, 06:19 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Steven
I just pointed out that the clutch peddle would on occasion stay down and would need to be 'popped' back up again, plus again on occasion I would feel a vibration/judder through the clutch peddle, be it in gear or out, this would come and go. Nothing untoward was found.

I've just checked all fluid levels and all is ok bar the gearbox oil, which is just above low.

simb
Old 10 August 2005, 09:27 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds as if you need expert advice on this one si, even if you have to trailer to them.
Old 10 August 2005, 10:59 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

without looking, i couldnt tell then. Big end can make the noise, knackered gears could make the noise, knackered clutch could make the noise.

Use a long metal bar/screwdriver, and get the car to make the noise, and then place the bar on the engine block, the the front of the gearbox (under the intercooler) and then the underneath of the gearbox near the middle of it.

This should help you pinpoint where the noise is coming from, which may assist us to diagnose your fault.

It could be the clutch isnt disengauging properly, maybe due to air in the clutch fluid, and thus causing it to premeturely wear the pads out on the pads of the clutch, reducing it to the rivets, which are then juddering on the flywheel/graunching on the flywheel

Trending Topics

Old 10 August 2005, 11:55 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

without looking, i couldnt tell then. Big end can make the noise, knackered gears could make the noise, knackered clutch could make the noise.

Use a long metal bar/screwdriver, and get the car to make the noise, and then place the bar on the engine block, the the front of the gearbox (under the intercooler) and then the underneath of the gearbox near the middle of it.

This should help you pinpoint where the noise is coming from, which may assist us to diagnose your fault.

It could be the clutch isnt disengauging properly, maybe due to air in the clutch fluid, and thus causing it to premeturely wear the pads out on the pads of the clutch, reducing it to the rivets, which are then juddering on the flywheel/graunching on the flywheel

Thanks mate, I will try this tommorow and see how we get on. I'm starting to fear the worst though but fingers crossed it's not the engine.

simb
Old 14 August 2005, 12:09 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Looks like my worst fears have been confirmed, started the car today for the first time since getting recovered. The noise is way more apparent now, before I was stuck on a busy dual carriageway with cars flying past, so did'nt realise how loud the noise was.
When started from cold the noise is like a sharp knocking sound, all knock link lights are lit at around 1300 rpm, it's definately comming from the bottom of the engine.

It must be the big end.

Has anybody got any recommendations of the best place to take her??, will be ringing around next week, work permitting some of the well known places on here. But if anybody has recommendations i'd still like to know.

Thanks for your help Steven

simb

Last edited by simb 2; 14 August 2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 15 August 2005, 01:03 AM
LMR
Scooby Regular

Simon,

Sorry to hear the bad news, David at API carried out all the work on mine, which seems to be holding up very well. However he is not local and I just sent him the short engine for a rebore and pistons. Give him a ring as I found his advice very usefull.

All the best,

lloyd

Originally Posted by simb 2
Looks like my worst fears have been confirmed, started the car today for the first time since getting recovered. The noise is way more apparent now, before I was stuck on a busy dual carriageway with cars flying past, so did'nt realise how loud the noise was.
When started from cold the noise is like a sharp knocking sound, all knock link lights are lit at around 1300 rpm, it's definately comming from the bottom of the engine.

It must be the big end.

Has anybody got any recommendations of the best place to take her??, will be ringing around next week, work permitting some of the well known places on here. But if anybody has recommendations i'd still like to know.

Thanks for your help Steven

simb
Old 15 August 2005, 07:27 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Second for API.
No bull ****, plain talking but based in Warwickshire.
I took my loose engine to him for head gaskets and all is tight after some very stressful running in competition.
They do about 10 engines a week so know a few things...
Graham.
Old 16 August 2005, 06:53 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LMR
Simon,

Sorry to hear the bad news, David at API carried out all the work on mine, which seems to be holding up very well. However he is not local and I just sent him the short engine for a rebore and pistons. Give him a ring as I found his advice very usefull.

All the best,

lloyd
Thanks Lloyd, is this the same problem you had?

Will hopefully get time this week to ring a few companies, Api is on the list but work has been mad this week. See how I get on the rest of it.

simb
Old 20 August 2005, 07:05 AM
LMR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simb 2
Thanks Lloyd, is this the same problem you had?

Will hopefully get time this week to ring a few companies, Api is on the list but work has been mad this week. See how I get on the rest of it.

simb
No, Not the same problem. No knocking noise with mine just no power and a lot of smoke due to hole in piston.

hope you get it sorted,

ATB.
Old 20 August 2005, 03:15 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LMR
No, Not the same problem. No knocking noise with mine just no power and a lot of smoke due to hole in piston.

hope you get it sorted,

ATB.
Thanks mate

Pm me your new number can you?

simb