Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Coolant Loss - Steamy Scoobie

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2005, 04:12 PM
jonjeffryes
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Coolant Loss - Steamy Scoobie

OK, here's the story - the headgaskets have just been changed...along with the radiator, radiator cap (and all the belts) and the header tank's less than a year old.

Last Friday, on the way home and suddenly there's a faint 'pop' and boost needle races around the guage. I looked under the bonnet and couldn't see anything obvious so I limped home the final couple of miles.

Turns out one of the vacuum hoses (the small ones) has come off - one of the three that plugs into the intake manifold from the Turbo I think.

Plug it back in and all seems well. A little later and I drive a mile to my son's house but as I stop, there's steam comming out of the bonnet vent on the drivers side and also through the scoop. Only for a couple of seconds and then it's clear.

Since then, as soon as she gets warm and if I drive briskly, I get the steam treatment and i'm getting coolant on the drivers side inner wing. She's also using/loosing coolant.

The temporature always stays mid guage, the cooling fans switch in and out as they should. There's no coolant in the oil and oil level hasn't dropped. performance seems normal and there's no bubbles in the overflow....

Can't see where the coolants leaking...any ideas?

Thanks

Jon

1996 WRX classic import.
Old 07 August 2005, 04:36 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

see reply on your other thread jon.
Old 07 August 2005, 04:38 PM
PAUL CRAFTS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonjeffryes

OK, here's the story - the headgaskets have just been changed...along with the radiator, radiator cap (and all the belts) and the header tank's less than a year old.

Last Friday, on the way home and suddenly there's a faint 'pop' and boost needle races around the guage. I looked under the bonnet and couldn't see anything obvious so I limped home the final couple of miles.

Turns out one of the vacuum hoses (the small ones) has come off - one of the three that plugs into the intake manifold from the Turbo I think.

Plug it back in and all seems well. A little later and I drive a mile to my son's house but as I stop, there's steam comming out of the bonnet vent on the drivers side and also through the scoop. Only for a couple of seconds and then it's clear.

Since then, as soon as she gets warm and if I drive briskly, I get the steam treatment and i'm getting coolant on the drivers side inner wing. She's also using/loosing coolant.

The temporature always stays mid guage, the cooling fans switch in and out as they should. There's no coolant in the oil and oil level hasn't dropped. performance seems normal and there's no bubbles in the overflow....

Can't see where the coolants leaking...any ideas?

Thanks

Jon

1996 WRX classic import.
Is car building pressure up in header-tank,did u have head gaskets done!!!