Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Induction kit?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2005, 08:18 PM
catmeat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Induction kit?

Not sure which way to go panel filter or induction kit,have a decat fitted so what would u suggest?,the car is my00 classic wrx turbo.

Last edited by catmeat; 28 July 2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 28 July 2005, 08:24 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by catmeat
Not sure which way to go panel filter or induction kit,have a decat fitted so what would u suggest?,the car is my00 classic wrx turbo.

When I had a MY00 Classic turbo I had the Blitz Induction kit. But sure to sucking in more hot air into the system pretty much nearly killed the MAF sensor. Heard that panel filters are a better way to go (STI ones), unless you find a way to keep the induction kit cooler. In the end it cost me the price of the induction kit and a new MAF. (And nearly a new engine). Do a search on here as this has been brought up many a time.
Old 28 July 2005, 08:30 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try WRC Tech cold air induction kit, takes air from inner wing.
Old 28 July 2005, 08:31 PM
catmeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
When I had a MY00 Classic turbo I had the Blitz Induction kit. But sure to sucking in more hot air into the system pretty much nearly killed the MAF sensor. Heard that panel filters are a better way to go (STI ones), unless you find a way to keep the induction kit cooler. In the end it cost me the price of the induction kit and a new MAF. (And nearly a new engine). Do a search on here as this has been brought up many a time.
Yeah have heard that,how long was the blitz on there b4 u had to change the maf?
Old 28 July 2005, 08:38 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Yeah have heard that,how long was the blitz on there b4 u had to change the maf?
3 weeks.

Only noticed a very slight idling issue when stopped at lights and also the very bad MPG I was getting. I got it into the local scooby garage for a diag, and the result was that the MAF sensor had become faulty and because of this the ECU was pulling in more fuel to compensate. Luckily with MY00 scoobs you can just buy the end sensor bit and not the full thing for over £100. After that I had the original box and filter put back on, and it was fine afterwards.

On the bright side it did make a nice whooshing noise when changing gears.
Old 28 July 2005, 08:56 PM
catmeat
Scooby Regular

3 weeks.

Only noticed a very slight idling issue when stopped at lights and also the very bad MPG I was getting. I got it into the local scooby garage for a diag, and the result was that the MAF sensor had become faulty and because of this the ECU was pulling in more fuel to compensate. Luckily with MY00 scoobs you can just buy the end sensor bit and not the full thing for over £100. After that I had the original box and filter put back on, and it was fine afterwards.

On the bright side it did make a nice whooshing noise when changing gears.
The hks i was thinking of is about £180,a panel is about £40,so there is price,so theres no noticable power outputs between the two?if not think i will go for the panel,seems more reliable
Old 28 July 2005, 09:12 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

The hks i was thinking of is about £180,a panel is about £40,so there is price,so theres no noticable power outputs between the two?if not think i will go for the panel,seems more reliable
You could always buy a decent induction kit but you need more cold air coming in. Noticed a few classic owners take off the blanking plate over the nearside bonnet grill and put on a mini scoop over the top of the bonnet.

If you do a search on here for induction kits or panel filters you will become a little bit more wiser what to go for.

Trending Topics

Old 28 July 2005, 09:30 PM
catmeat
Scooby Regular

You could always buy a decent induction kit but you need more cold air coming in. Noticed a few classic owners take off the blanking plate over the nearside bonnet grill and put on a mini scoop over the top of the bonnet.

If you do a search on here for induction kits or panel filters you will become a little bit more wiser what to go for.
Dont want to put on the mini scoop as the filter gets wet,i could put a cold air feed in the inner wing but again extra cash for prob no extra power?
Old 28 July 2005, 11:29 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Dont want to put on the mini scoop as the filter gets wet,i could put a cold air feed in the inner wing but again extra cash for prob no extra power?
Probably right. Read on here that a few people have gone for a replacement panel filter. I believe the popular choice is the STi one.
Old 30 July 2005, 03:18 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a cost per performance enhancement, I would go for the replacement panel filter every time for "normal" modification levels.

Regards,
Shaun.