Is this an LSD Problem ???

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2005, 06:01 PM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this an LSD Problem ???

Guys & Gals,

I'm new to the site after picking up my first scooby today (97 WRX), and have to say it' as wonderful resource

I do however have a problem, well not that major.

The person I bought the car from has told me it's got a few mods done to it, coilovers, exhaust, air filter and apparently a competion LSD or something like that??

Anyway, when I drive the car everything is perfect, really quick and no traction problems. When I go round a corner (90 degrees or more) the car judders quite a bit and pulls back straight, this is apparently the LSD trying to correct the car straight?? My knowledge of diff's is a bit limited so I'm not sure if this is right or not. The person I got the car from did have the car checked out by somebody who races Subaru's and said the car is perfect, it's very well setup.

Problem is, it's driving me nuts!! Twice it's nearly pulled me into a parked car. Not good as I'm sure you can imagine.

Any advice guys? If it is this competion LSD thingy, I'm tempted to remove it as it's just not practical around towns.

Thanks.
Old 23 July 2005, 11:17 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sjuggins
Guys & Gals,

I'm new to the site after picking up my first scooby today (97 WRX), and have to say it' as wonderful resource

I do however have a problem, well not that major.

The person I bought the car from has told me it's got a few mods done to it, coilovers, exhaust, air filter and apparently a competion LSD or something like that??

Anyway, when I drive the car everything is perfect, really quick and no traction problems. When I go round a corner (90 degrees or more) the car judders quite a bit and pulls back straight, this is apparently the LSD trying to correct the car straight?? My knowledge of diff's is a bit limited so I'm not sure if this is right or not. The person I got the car from did have the car checked out by somebody who races Subaru's and said the car is perfect, it's very well setup.

Problem is, it's driving me nuts!! Twice it's nearly pulled me into a parked car. Not good as I'm sure you can imagine.

Any advice guys? If it is this competion LSD thingy, I'm tempted to remove it as it's just not practical around towns.

Thanks.
Presumably you mean the front free diff has been changed for an LSD? Or has the centre diff been changed for the manually adjustable type?
Were you told what type of LSD was fitted?
Some can be adjusted.
I've no experience of LSD in the front on Scoobs, mine is standard UK Classic.
I have experience of powerfullish front wheel drive with "tight" LSD and yes, you can get the effect you describe on them.
Others with more experience of Scoobs with LSD in front and the adjustable centre diff will probably come along to offer more advice.
Old 24 July 2005, 12:06 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Is there any noise from it? Does it pull at slow speed's, but not so much at high speed's?
Old 24 July 2005, 02:28 PM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

@ Vegescoob - I'm not sure which diff has been changed, just the person I bought it from said when he had the car checked over (by somebody who builds & races Imprezas) they said it had a competition diff in it??

@ drb5 - Yes it's only really noticable at low speeds, e.g. turning out of a junction. There's no noise I can hear however.

Thanks so far guys.
Old 24 July 2005, 02:40 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

This sounds like when you turn the steering to go round a corner, you expect the steering to turn back to centre when you're completing the manoeuvre... and it doesn't!! It keeps trying to wind on more lock?
Old 24 July 2005, 02:45 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Just as Alan say's.

I have the same thing. Front and rear LSD's with a VC centre diff. You might not have the EXACT same setup, but this is definately the same feeling you get from my own.

Get it out on the hot weather and marvel at the easy cornering and power slides! But in the rain, watch yourself!

As for the noise, as long as you use the proper oil's, you shouldn't get any.
Old 24 July 2005, 05:31 PM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys. This is my first subaru, and the first car to have this sort of setup. All my previous cars (M3 & Skylines) I've been able to turn round a bend, put the power on and let go of the steering wheel (not completely) and then the car straightens itself up.

You mentioned that it trys to wind on more lock, I've just been out for a blast, and to me it feels like this:

During sort of mid-turn, the car sort of fights me to get straight again, it's very weird you'd know exactly what I mean if you drove it.

Is there a way of getting the diffs setup to the way I like it? Or would I have to have it removed. I was looking to go to Powerstation soon as the car has coilovers and is way to hard for my liking and the steering is very heavy. Would they be able to look at the diff thing?

Thanks again for all your help.

Trending Topics

Old 24 July 2005, 05:49 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

You may be able to get it set up, as it could very well be adjustable(most likely), but it is possible it could even be welded up(going a bit far there, but possible). If you were to want to adjust them, thay have to come out. Depending on who does that, it can be costly.

The way i would describe it, is torque steer. Simplist way of giving a description to the feeling.
Old 24 July 2005, 06:49 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Powerstation could take the diff out and send it away for adjustment yes.

Not a lot we could do with the weight of the steering to be honest (probably has a quick rack in it or something). we could take out the quickrack if that is the reason and replace with a standard one.. I have a suitable donor car

We can certainly sort your suspension fella

Andy
Old 24 July 2005, 07:32 PM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Andy. I think it does have a quick rack in it as it's only a couple of turns from lock to lock.

How long would it take for you to send the diff away for adjustment? It's quite a distance to you from luton.
Old 24 July 2005, 07:35 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

3 days roughly to turn around.
We "might" be able to get the car collected if Litchfields trailer is out in that direction....

Andy
Old 24 July 2005, 07:41 PM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

Andy, thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

If I was to bring the car up to you, is it possible for somebody to take it for a spin to make sure everything is OK? My main concern at the moment is the suspension, it's so damn hard.
Old 24 July 2005, 07:48 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Of course

no probelm on replies, new posts are auto mailed to me.

Andy
Old 24 July 2005, 08:03 PM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

Cool, nice one Andy. I'll be on the phone in the week to make an appointment. Roughly how long will it take to sort the suspension and geometry?
Old 24 July 2005, 08:07 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

hang on fella don't you know top gear is on lol...

A morning to change spring rates and about an hour or so to do alignment
Old 24 July 2005, 08:16 PM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

LOL. Watching it now.. I'll leave you in peace now.

Cheers fella
Old 26 July 2005, 03:06 PM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

Right I've got an update on this little annoyance.

Following on from Vegescoob's thinking that the front free diff had been changed to an LSD, it appears to be the case. Managed to get hold of the person who imported the car and he confirmed it has a front and rear LSD.

What's the benefit of having a front LSD instead of a free diff? It's driving me mad when trying to pull out of a junction and the car keeps kangarooing/juddering. Makes me look a right tit.

I have noticed that when I push it when going round a roundabout the front really slides, not as much traction as I was expecting from a 4wd car. Have checked the pressures and noticed the tyres are Falkens, so these could be the problem judging by peoples comments about these particular tryes.

Thanks again everyone.