Type R Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2005, 01:14 PM
Nicky H
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Type R Problems

Hi

I have very recently got a V4 STI Type R. I am quite new to the 4wd thing, so i am sorry if this is a stupid question. My last car was a BMW M3 if this helps.

I have had problems when I have tried to get the car to oversteer, as you do, I have tried it in first and in 2nd. I did this in a simliar style to what i would do in the M3. with a bit of a flick, but i have some troubles, when you would be expected to start going the enigne just stops revving, and does not seem to happy with what you are doing. At the time the diff was set all the way to the rear. So i am not sure if this is a slipping clutch or what, it doesnt make sounds, just feels like a car that has traction control and is kicking in, as far as i knew i didnt think they had any. Does anyone know what is going on, other wise the car is fine, goes well in a straight as well as in the corners.

The only other issue that i have with it, is a random idle, it often idles at as low as well about 500, and feels like it is going to cut out. This is a new import from japan, so at this stage it has not been run much for about 2 or so mo im guessing. Could this be the source of all my problems?

Also if it helps, the car has, 17/215/40 tyres on it at the moment.
Old 12 July 2005, 01:28 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the MAF is on the way out, it would be worth getting a new Maf And Lambda sensor fitted.
Old 12 July 2005, 05:43 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

you are running it on optimax aren't you (preferable with a splash of octane boost as well)?
Old 12 July 2005, 05:56 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tath
you are running it on optimax aren't you (preferable with a splash of octane boost as well)?
i have recently got my type r v4 from japan too, had it fully serviced and checked etc, cos mine is doin the same thing at idle, falling down and junping up a bit, checked maf and thats not it, has to check a few others but said its nothin to worry about, friend of mine who is a rally car driver said when he had his it done the same thing, everytime everyone in here mentions a prob they say MAF is gone blah blah blah, and never run on anything less than 100RON, all hearsay on this site man
dont worry about, enjoy the car
Old 12 July 2005, 06:06 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
never run on anything less than 100RON, all hearsay on this site man
dont worry about, enjoy the car
enjoy the bill for an engine rebuild then mate.

are you familiar with the term "pre-ignition"?

edit: apparently you are! http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...67#post4771367
Old 12 July 2005, 07:25 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

expensive attitude flat4 !!

L O U D E R tath so he'll really hear.
Old 12 July 2005, 07:57 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

BANG!!!!
Old 12 July 2005, 08:51 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

BANG!!!!
BANG?? really man yeah?? well why dont u explain to me why 4 of my friends have been runnin their sti imports on 95 ron for the past 3/4 yrs with no problems!!???
this site would put anybody off buying a fcukin subaru!!jesus.
Old 12 July 2005, 08:55 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

BANG!!!!
aand some of them use a booster maybe bringin it up tp 97RON, one friend with a 95 wrx doesnt even use booster and it has 191,000 klms on it! and guess what, no engine failure, or any engine probs really that i can recall him ever mentioning, so stop it would u please?
you are wrecking my head
Old 12 July 2005, 09:06 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to the original question, lumpy idle? Yes, MAF or lamda are good starting points.

When you're trying to drift it does the power cut very suddenly? If so it might be fuel surge. Fill the tank up and try again.
Old 12 July 2005, 09:09 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
BANG?? really man yeah?? well why dont u explain to me why 4 of my friends have been runnin their sti imports on 95 ron for the past 3/4 yrs with no problems!!???
this site would put anybody off buying a fcukin subaru!!jesus.
lmao - keep going then if it's safe

Nicky H,

95RON will not undoubtedly destroy your engine.

95RON could destroy your engine however.

If you don't believe me use the little button that says search. there is no question that using petrol that is rated 5 points below the engine's design can, under the right (or should that be wrong) circumstances, cause detonation severe enough to do very real damage.

i only point this out because you seemed somewhat unsure and novice (no offence - i'm very much still learning!), and i hate to see people lose engines!

the petrol you use probably isn't anything to do with your poor running - as mentioned lambda sensors and MAF (air flow meters) are prime suspects and can both be replaced reasonably cheaply.

i'm sure some more people will be along anon to offer more thoughts/opinions/arguments

cheers

tath

PS watch out if a fellow called PSLewis arrives
Old 12 July 2005, 09:17 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

i hear you, but then how can 191,000 klms on an import scoob not have any engine probs, no ecus etc! been on 95ron for years now, no booster,i am a lil worried bout mine so i have got an apexi power fc for her to go in next month

lmao - keep going then if it's safe

Nicky H,

95RON will not undoubtedly destroy your engine.

95RON could destroy your engine however.

If you don't believe me use the little button that says search. there is no question that using petrol that is rated 5 points below the engine's design can, under the right (or should that be wrong) circumstances, cause detonation severe enough to do very real damage.

i only point this out because you seemed somewhat unsure and novice (no offence - i'm very much still learning!), and i hate to see people lose engines!

the petrol you use probably isn't anything to do with your poor running - as mentioned lambda sensors and MAF (air flow meters) are prime suspects and can both be replaced reasonably cheaply.

i'm sure some more people will be along anon to offer more thoughts/opinions/arguments

cheers

tath

PS watch out if a fellow called PSLewis arrives
Old 12 July 2005, 09:17 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

and before u say something smart i mean no aftermarket ecu's mapping etc
Old 12 July 2005, 09:39 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

95 isnt good enough.
your friend is lucky.
i'm on engine 4.
Old 12 July 2005, 10:15 PM
Nicky H
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Ill get the MAF and Lamba sensors looked into. The power drops very suddenly, it feels like tacton control or something is the best way that i can think of to describe it, at the time I had about 1/4 of a tank in the car, so ill try it next time I fill up, which i am sure will be soon . Sorry just to clarify I am not in England, I am in New Zealand. The fuel that i was running was at the time a 96 octane, as this was all i could find when i got it and it was very low, so i just put a little bit in it, usually I have a 98 octane, which is the highest that they go here.

Thanks

Nick
Old 13 July 2005, 07:07 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nicky H
Hi,

Thanks for your help. Ill get the MAF and Lamba sensors looked into. The power drops very suddenly, it feels like tacton control or something is the best way that i can think of to describe it, at the time I had about 1/4 of a tank in the car, so ill try it next time I fill up, which i am sure will be soon . Sorry just to clarify I am not in England, I am in New Zealand. The fuel that i was running was at the time a 96 octane, as this was all i could find when i got it and it was very low, so i just put a little bit in it, usually I have a 98 octane, which is the highest that they go here.

Thanks

Nick
1/4 tank of fuel might just be low enough at high lateral force to cause fuel starvation... as you say, try with a fuller tank.

tath
Old 13 July 2005, 07:11 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by buzzard
95 isnt good enough.
your friend is lucky.
i'm on engine 4.
engine 4? well sorry but you obviously have more money that sense!
Old 13 July 2005, 11:27 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

low fuel ie 1/4 tank is too low for hard cornering/drifting,it will almost certainly get fuel starvation,but less likely if if you try too drift with the car turned left,or fill the tank more,better still you can get a swirl pot which helps to eliminate this problem(if drifting is realy important).Try it when there rain or snow and you'll find that the scooby realy can go sideways!

The fuel octane comments above are true in terms of danger to engines from lowewr octane ratings.

i myself have experienced 3 engine failures (not all neccessarily fuel related) and after fitting a knock link I realised how much difference higher octane makes.

It is possible that the scooby with 191k miles hasnt seen alot of red line reving or high speed driving,but then again I wouldnt be surprised if its on its last legs ATM.IMO,your friend is just plain lucky.......
Old 14 July 2005, 01:25 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

The earlier cars were less stressed, a bit like the later UK classics which you could still run on 95ron if you wanted.

It is better to run the later import cars on what they were originally mapped for i.e. 100ron.

If your in doubt then find someone with some det cans (for listening to detonation in the engine) and go out for a run in your car with them checking it. If its OK then you will know your alright. If not then it may save you an engine re-build.

Dave.
Old 14 July 2005, 05:47 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveW
The earlier cars were less stressed, a bit like the later UK classics which you could still run on 95ron if you wanted.

It is better to run the later import cars on what they were originally mapped for i.e. 100ron.

If your in doubt then find someone with some det cans (for listening to detonation in the engine) and go out for a run in your car with them checking it. If its OK then you will know your alright. If not then it may save you an engine re-build.

Dave.
believe me, if they were sellin 100RON here id pay any amount for it! but we aint even got 98/97! ****hole country, so i gotta run with 95 and got a but of nf race too, have an apexi power fc to go in next month by Andy F. so i cant really do more than that now can i?
Old 14 July 2005, 06:45 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dij
Try it when there rain or snow and you'll find that the scooby realy can go sideways!
Err, it's a Type R. All mines want's to do is go sideways.

Gave it some stick in second gear recently on a totally straight piece of road and it tried to swap ends on me. I nearly dropped my drink.
Old 18 July 2005, 12:18 PM
Nicky H
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

Yup embarrasingly enough it seems that the problem was not enough gas. This might also be an equally embarrasing question, but is it very likely that there is something wrong with my fuel pump or something, as its just kinda annoying when u get to 1/4 of a tank, i get it every where, conering hard, hard take offs etc. Its really embarrasing pulling out into traffic giving it the berries then having it cut out. Is there something i can do that stops this other than put more gas in.

Thanks
Old 20 July 2005, 04:42 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

You can get fuel surge with anything less than half a tank, and I've experienced it on track with 3/4 of a tank- granted that was on slicks though.

As mentioned earlier if you want to play sideways regularly you need to keep it full or invest in a swirl pot / anti-surge setup.
Old 23 July 2005, 02:08 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

There is a couple of cheaper/easier way of dealing with it but as mentioned a swirl pot would sort you out.

I've heard of people fitting longer pick up lines and you can get lumps of foam that you squeeze into the tank. It stops the fuel sloshing around but can play havock with your fuel gauge. If your ever owned a bike you'll be used to not having one though.