Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

5th gear quick fix needed.

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2005, 07:07 AM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Question 5th gear quick fix needed.

Had 5th gear go on me a few weeks back on MY00 UK turbo... was gonna have it all rebuilt as planned to keep it, but things have changed and have go the chance to buy a mates old MY98 STi type R...
Now with my gearbox... 5th has just outta the blue become un-selectable... will not go in, running or not... no crunches when trying etc... quiet as a mouse, just won't select at all...! what do peeps on here think it could be, does anyone think it could just be the 5th gear syncro nut worked its way loose, or am I just gonna have to strip it down... as wanna part-ex it asap...
Teg motorsport have said they will strip it and repair it for a very reasonable cost, just means taking it off, sending it up there and back...
Old 12 July 2005, 07:46 PM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it is the nut its about a 3hr job with the box in or the easy way round it is to fit a four speed gear ****
Old 12 July 2005, 10:01 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...light=5th+gear
there's a picture on that thread which should help you understand whats going on.......... it's fixable IN the car!! you just need to find someone willing to do it!!
Old 13 July 2005, 06:44 AM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Question

So if I just tighten this nut I will get 5th gear back??? Anyone in the Cheshire area wanna do it???
Old 13 July 2005, 07:05 AM
Scooby Regular

Had this on my old 99 UK turbo.
Dealer fixed in the car.

As for Cheshire: Scoobyclinic?

You could also call David at www.apiengines.co.uk for assistance (south Warwickshire)

Graham.
Old 13 July 2005, 07:31 AM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Have you got any numbers and any idea of cost??? Cheers
Old 14 July 2005, 06:41 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Question

Been onto scooby clinic, although very helpful, they have said a reconditioned gearbox han be supplied and fitted for £650 quid... which I don't think is too bad but I don't really wanna spend this out just to get the 5th gear working to part-ex it...
Anyone think of anyone else that could give me a deffo diagnosis on this gearbox fairly local to me???
Old 15 July 2005, 12:16 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Cool

bttt, anyone???
Old 15 July 2005, 02:21 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Any scooby garage should be able to sort this, with the gearbox still in the car.

Reverse usually gets troublesome as well with the "loose nut" syndrome, but it's a loose nut, or a shot fork, both are easily fixable.

I'd definitely drain the gearbox oil, to have a look for small bits of ex-gearbox...if you're unlucky things can have gone fubar (not too common, the worst I've seen was a damaged gear, baulk ring and slightly damaged transfer case).

2:nd hand 5th gear packages should be all over the place..

/J
Old 15 July 2005, 02:30 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Smile

When you say both are easily fixable. You mean both are fixable with the gearbox still in place...
What sort of price do you think i'm looking at for having this fixed???
Reverse is troublesome too...
As said, hoping it's nowt major, and I ain't heard any noises etc... it was just there, and then 5 minutes later not...
Wherever I get it done, need it doing asap, as my type R is sat at the garage waiting for me...( part-ex )...
Old 15 July 2005, 05:02 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Don't worry, it's fixable with the tranny still inside the car - if you were a bit closer I'd do it in 3 hours tops, and charge you a hundred squid and lunch (plus the 2 gaskets you need, which are 20 squid here in Sweden).

If reverse is fubar as well, it's the loose nut, the nut is a good idea to replace with a new one (costs bugger all from Subaru), and the mentioned 2 gaskets (in front of, and behind the transfer case) - the mechanic needs a torque wrench, a subaru manual and some common sense.

/J
Old 18 July 2005, 06:20 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sorry to be a pain, but can you explain why I can't get 5th, but can get reverse???
I take it the nut is that loose, that the cog has moved so the 5th gear has come un-selectable???
I know my engines, but when it comes to gearboxs they eva work or don't... Cheers....
Old 18 July 2005, 09:19 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

5th and reverse are selected by the same fork, the fork is still in place, but the entire package with the 5th driven gear, synchro bits - the works has come loose.

To get reverse the fork uses the rear bearing-thingy (lacking the terms, as this is not my primary language) as leverage, and the loose bits have probably wedged up against the transfer casing.

It's common with the loose nut issues, reverse can be selected, but it's generally quite iffy.

/J
Old 18 July 2005, 10:04 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

if the nut unwinds to far it has a habit of cutting in to a plastic channel that feeds 5th gear with oil if this is damaged 5th will seize up. in most cases though just replace the nut and washer torque it all up and away you go
Old 18 July 2005, 11:22 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Fingers crossed then... so its the top nut, what needs to come off to get to it, and has anyone got part numbers for the nut and gaskets???
Monday all being well, 5TH gear should be back, anyone wanna buy it, it's up for sale in general for sale section...
Type R version 4 on the way...( 400bhp ) Had pure money put into it...
Old 19 July 2005, 04:20 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

you can leave the back section as one and undo the ring of bolts on the next section so in theory you will only need on gasket down side is it makes it heavy because of the centre diff also possible to do with the exhaust on but again a bit fiddly remove it if possible and the prop and gear change mechanisim all need to come off.
Old 20 July 2005, 01:59 PM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

Mine went a year or so back. Dealer fixed it (Quenby's in Baldock) £300 iirc. Unfortunately 30000 miles and it has come loose again.
Old 20 July 2005, 08:06 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

shouldn't come loose again if they used new nuts and washers sounds like they either just tightened up the old nut or didn't stake it properly
Old 20 July 2005, 11:58 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Anyone got the gasket part numbers??? please... nut too...
Old 25 July 2005, 10:39 AM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Smile

Oops... oh well... gearbox is on its way off, just started to drain box fluid, it don't look good its full of metal bits, so not gonna bother taking the rear casing off to check this nut... its going straight up to Teg sport for a rebuild...( all for its new owner...!!!!!!!! )
Must be the 5th gear... £££££££££££
Oh well, at least it'll come back spot on...

Last edited by Scoobyslammed; 27 July 2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old 28 July 2005, 02:39 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Been and picked the gearbox up this morning all fixed... its had a new 5th gear ring, cog, something wrong with reverse, something with the front diff and electronic diff??? Opps!!!
All fixed and ready to go back in... £300 quid...! Can't moan... rebuilt in 2 days... well happy...
It's being fitted back into the car as we speak... should be done for tonight, new gearbox oil too... £40 quid...
Can't wait, hopefully the new owner ( fingers crossed, depends on his insurance ) is happy...
Eva way, its all fixed, so if I end up keeping it, I know its been done proper...
Would recommend TEG SPORT to anyone on here with gearbox or engine troubles... spot on work!!! Cheers lads...
Old 28 July 2005, 05:58 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Mmmm, the uk my00 doesn't have an electronic diff??
Old 28 July 2005, 08:34 PM
Mouse
Scooby Newbie

For all you armchair technicians this is what hapenned:
Big circlip comes off centre diff assy, interferes with transfer gears, breaks several bits of tooth off, tooth bits get stuck in selector rod hole sidewall preventing the rod travelling into 5th, oh and reverse selector hub seized. Nothing that can't be sorted!
Old 28 July 2005, 11:18 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers for correcting me... eva way its running again and better than ever... big thanks to Teg Sport...
And a more local garage for taking the box out and re-fitting it for a small fee...
I personally didn't think the 300 quid for the gearbox to be sorted was bad... Teg sport were spot on, no bull, said what it would be and what it would cost... 2 days later, its back all sorted... can't fault them, no hassel which makes a change in this day in age...
Old 29 July 2005, 01:11 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouse
For all you armchair technicians this is what hapenned:
Big circlip comes off centre diff assy, interferes with transfer gears, breaks several bits of tooth off, tooth bits get stuck in selector rod hole sidewall preventing the rod travelling into 5th, oh and reverse selector hub seized. Nothing that can't be sorted!

I get kind of offended by the term "armchair technician" - I do *all* work myself on my car, be it gearbox builds (have been through one PAR synchro, and am currently enjoying a PPG full on dog kit) or the current EJ257 project (or remaps, done Link, am learning the Autronic now)...

The circlip isn't the usual issue when you've got issues with the 5th gear/reverse selection, especially on the 99/00 cars - I've done 4 of the loose nut jobs myself on these.

Rgds

/Jerry