Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Suggestions on engine mods for a MY04 WRX!

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2005, 06:43 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on engine mods for a MY04 WRX!

Thinking of upping the power of my 04 WRX, So has anyone got any suggestions on what mods to put on with the price range around £4k.
Old 10 July 2005, 07:08 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

Wow......4k

How about uprated discs, pads and brakelines first, followed by a boost gauge, then

Full decat exhaust including down-pipe
Headers and up-pipe
Aftermarket Intercooler
Turbo
Injectors
Fuel Pump
Induction
Tek3 remap

Thats the quickest 4k I have ever spent

Martin
Old 10 July 2005, 07:31 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Thinking of upping the power of my 04 WRX, So has anyone got any suggestions on what mods to put on with the price range around £4k.

an sti
Old 10 July 2005, 10:54 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
an sti
Throw a extra £4k at a WRX and it would be quicker then a STi, already spent a bit on the styling and wheels etc so I dont want to be selling the car.
Old 11 July 2005, 01:06 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Throw a extra £4k at a WRX and it would be quicker then a STi, already spent a bit on the styling and wheels etc so I dont want to be selling the car.

yup and worth a whole lot less if you want a fast car buy a fast car not bodge unless you can do allot of the things your self and get a kick from building your own monster

been there stuck with the car, yes I love it but would never do it again

a remapped STI will work out cheaper than a "quicker" modded wrx

or don't listen and do what I did

drop links + anti roll bar, anti lift kit, springs and geo
3x defi gauges
6pot ap brakes
knocklink
secs monitor - to reset all the cell lights that keep popping up

wouldnt start till I had the above sorted in some way or another

should we say £2500 already doing allot of the work your self

new turbo

would need a td05 (may be 18g, seems to get good results on here) £800
I went for a vf35 but this will only ever make the car as quick as a modded STI probably slower but i like the gear box to much

£800

Intercooler - FMIC best or you could go with a second hand STI top mount, hoping it hasn't got a huge hole in it like mine and ending up spending £600 on a aps

£250

550 injectors

£200 second hand out of a ... you got it STI

remap £750

full 3 inch exhaust including downpipe, won't include the fines or extra costs when the cops crab you for a emmisions test ( I have a sports cat, add £150 ) - £500

new equal \un equal manifold

i went with the power station version

£300

new samco hoses etc etc etc etc etc

4k will buy you a quick car BUT keep an eye out for that crap gear box that i end up mothering because I cant afford a new one and will never buy second hand again

I have a 02 wrx with 320 bhp and 320 ish lbs

worth it ...no way, never again
fun.... very

I wont add the 5k I spent on a new polo becuase I needed the car for work and it was spending to long off the road

and don't talk to me about insurance

take a step back from scoobynet and buy a STI - will be the best think you could do.

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 11 July 2005 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11 July 2005, 02:11 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

^^^ Agree with the above, with STi's going for such silly money (03's from just 13,900 in the Trader) it really isn't worth modding a WRX. If I had a bit of spare $ kicking about I'd be looking at a JDM STi, there's been a couple for sale on here for ages and I reckon the sellers will be open to very reasonable offers by now. Mod'd cars tend not to sell unless you come across an enthusiast whom wants to do exactly what you've done, and even then they sell for the same as an unmod'd. The general public don't want to know, EVER.

As an aside, the best mod I've evr done which has reaped the biggest increase in speed is professional driver training, and you can take it on to your next car FOC
Old 11 July 2005, 09:26 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I agee with the above, i really do. Get an sti to start with. I have a 268 bhp MY03 WRX which is **** all compared to a lot of peeps on here, but even so, the resale will be a total pain, and like mentioned above you will get nothing for all the money you have spent on it. Sti all the way.
If i had known i would get the modding bug, i would have bought the sti to start with.
Old 11 July 2005, 09:22 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Intresting that everyone has recommended a STi as my next mod. But the only thing is that insurance would not be as good as the WRX and Im 22 and ive already had 6 cars in 4 years of driving, so I must keep this car a bit longer.

Was thinking of keeping the TD04 turbo as I like the instant puch it gives, and thinking of having the following.

Decat Downpipe
Decat Uppipe
Decat Midsection
Headers
Uprated fuel pump
Ecutek Remap
STi TMIC
AP uprated clutch
big brake conversion and sorting the Suspension out.
Old 11 July 2005, 09:40 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Intresting that everyone has recommended a STi as my next mod. But the only thing is that insurance would not be as good as the WRX and Im 22 and ive already had 6 cars in 4 years of driving, so I must keep this car a bit longer.

Was thinking of keeping the TD04 turbo as I like the instant puch it gives, and thinking of having the following.

Decat Downpipe
Decat Uppipe
Decat Midsection
Headers
Uprated fuel pump
Ecutek Remap
STi TMIC
AP uprated clutch
LoL that lot on your std insurance company will double your insurance and STI will be not much more than your wrx

Im now 24, when I got my WRX a STI was going to cost me 27k + 3k for the ppp and I only paid 17 for the wrx which was some saving

now I can get a eu import for 19k something - things have changed

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 11 July 2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11 July 2005, 11:26 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm with STi you get stronger internals, better suspension, better brakes ( usually depending on which MY year where WRX has similar ), bigger injectors, better TMIC, often bigger scoop, better seats, maybe even DCCD, etc.

No, I got a WRX and am jealous of the STi's.

To mod your new age, have a chat with Bob Rawle and Andy Forrest, who have been pushing the tuning boundaries of new age scoobies for a bit, or TSL with their 333 package.

Otherwise suggested mods would include
full decat ( up-pipe, downpipe with splitter, centre and rear box preferably 3"system), uprated fuel pump and regulator, STI panel filter, STi8 TMIC, ECU remap or Power FC/remap to make it all work together. Useful are boost controller and if getting into the high power stakes a set of tubular headers. Then you are heading into new turbo and injectors terroritory!

Clutch depends on torque you achieve but budget for a new AP Racing organic in case; brakes as above, if the power / speed needs more retardation but don't new age come with good brakes/ Brembo's ? Suspension can be coil overs or Eibach springs, and I'd go for polyurethane bushes and bump steer mods, with thicker anti-roll bars, and good tyres.

Well, that's my wish list anyway!

PS - try a TD04 hybrid turbo, said to be very good on the road!

Decat Downpipe
Decat Uppipe
Decat Midsection
Headers
Uprated fuel pump
Ecutek Remap
STi TMIC
AP uprated clutch