Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Smoke from under bonnet

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2005, 10:32 AM
cjwinternet
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke from under bonnet

This has been reported several times on the BB, but no resolution or cause has been mentioned, I would like to raise the topic again to completion.

On the drivers side of WRX, when the car is stopped, a plume of smoke (from burning oil) rises through the bonnet, and it's getting worse. There is no visibility of an oil leak and the oil consumption is barely affected.

In any case, it's a problem, not to mention embarrassing. I presume it is a leaking gasket or seal, dripping oil onto a manifold.

Has anyone else had this problem or do you know of somebody that has? What was the problem? How much did it cost to be repaired?

Regards

Chris
Old 05 July 2005, 11:35 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the rocker cover gasket. Can be fixed with the engine in place in an hour or two.
Old 05 July 2005, 12:18 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

On mine (Classic) it was the water return pipe from the turbo to the header tank. A bit was dripping out of the turbo end and vapourising when it hit the hot turbo. Anti-freeze makes a bit of smoke when burnt off in this manner.

Rocker gasket is the usual culprit though, typically you won't be losing much oil, only a few drips onto hot exhaust headers can make quite a bit of smoke.
Old 05 July 2005, 11:13 PM
jonjeffryes
Scooby Newbie

Had the same on my Classic,

Turned out to be power steering fluid. The 'o' ring at the bottom of the reservoir had failed...worth a look!

Originally Posted by cjwinternet
This has been reported several times on the BB, but no resolution or cause has been mentioned, I would like to raise the topic again to completion.

On the drivers side of WRX, when the car is stopped, a plume of smoke (from burning oil) rises through the bonnet, and it's getting worse. There is no visibility of an oil leak and the oil consumption is barely affected.

In any case, it's a problem, not to mention embarrassing. I presume it is a leaking gasket or seal, dripping oil onto a manifold.

Has anyone else had this problem or do you know of somebody that has? What was the problem? How much did it cost to be repaired?

Regards

Chris
Old 06 July 2005, 12:36 AM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonjeffryes
Had the same on my Classic,

Turned out to be power steering fluid. The 'o' ring at the bottom of the reservoir had failed...worth a look!
A friend had this problem so definatley worth a took