Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Anyone seen my 5th gear?

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2005, 11:39 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Anyone seen my 5th gear?

Absolutley no idea what so eva where it's gone, went down a mates garage to drop of 1 of the misses wheels off her astra for a new tyre... the Scoob drove fine on the way down... On the way back in a 40mph zone went to go in 5th and... it just ain't having it... its gone, been another garage to have it checked out, just to make sure the linkage etc ain't bent, so I suppose it 's gotta be the gearbox...DOH!!! Was driving it like a saint, carn't understand, no noises from it at all...
Been on the phone to TEG Motorsport, and its gonna cost around the £300 quid mark for a rebuild, thats new cogs, and syncro... and while its apart anything else on top...
And a mate of mine is gonna take the box out and put it back in, plus alittle service for £190 quid...
Old 27 June 2005, 11:55 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds a bit odd, fifth gear can be got at with the box in the car, so it doesn't have to come out, although the job may well be easier with the box out. the fifth selector can also be replaced 'if' thats the problem once it's apart...... how's reverse?? they use the same selector......

those prices don't sound too bad.....
Old 28 June 2005, 11:10 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

It selects reverse ok... to be totally honest, The whole lot feels alittle... notchy if you know what I mean, has since I got the car nearly 2 years ago, but still very drivable... so if its worth doing, may aswell do it proper and get all of them changed... still carn't really understand whats gone on/ wrong... oh well, s**T happens, doubt I'll be showing at JAE with the SIDC now because of this... gonna book it in for the last week of this month, gotta get some money together for it...