Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch fittment!

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2005, 11:09 AM
Juliano
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch fittment!

on a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to fit a clutch?
Experiance plz?
Old 16 June 2005, 11:10 AM
Juliano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Juliano
on a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to fit a clutch?
Experiance plz?
Or rather experiances plz
Old 16 June 2005, 03:16 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Easy peasy, turn up at Xtreme hand over keys then come back a day later and pick it up lol
Old 16 June 2005, 03:23 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

PITA 8-10 IMO.

I wouldn't bother myself. Am okay with other bits like changing brakes/lines, suspension etc
Old 16 June 2005, 03:25 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

A DAY
Its as hard as you make it m8 !
On a ramp 3\10
On ya back 7\10

Originally Posted by Jake
Easy peasy, turn up at Xtreme hand over keys then come back a day later and pick it up lol
Old 16 June 2005, 06:00 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

me and my mate do mine.

we cant be bothered going underneath the car (we aint got ramps for a start!!!) strip the engine in an hour ready to take out.
take it out with chain hoist.
spend 5 mins changing clutch
put it back in.
half a day - done.

Big pain in the bum but cheap as chips (as he is a mechanic i still pay him a bit!) and i save a fortune than going to a garage. I also get to see and help with the engine, check parts etc while its out so i know exactly whats gone on and done spot on.

tim
Old 16 June 2005, 06:48 PM
Juliano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmyajmy93wrx
me and my mate do mine.

we cant be bothered going underneath the car (we aint got ramps for a start!!!) strip the engine in an hour ready to take out.
take it out with <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=chain%20hoist" onmouseover="window.status='chain hoist'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">chain hoist</a>.
spend 5 mins changing clutch
put it back in.
half a day - done.

Big pain in the bum but cheap as chips (as he is a mechanic i still pay him a bit!) and i save a fortune than going to a garage. I also get to see and help with the engine, check parts etc while its out so i know exactly whats gone on and done spot on.

tim

Not after a step by step guide (well iam really lol) has any 1 done by the other way taking gearbox out ?

Which is easier strip engine or gearbox out?
Old 16 June 2005, 10:49 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done it 3 times.
Bloody sod of a job IMHO.

Single garage, TALL axle stands and remove the box on my own.
some charge about £150 to labour it all out/fix/back-in.
Pay and relax.

Hate the job.

Graham
Old 16 June 2005, 10:55 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Yes m8 have done it quite a few times.....Agree with Graham Pay someone unless you have the facilities...
Heres a crash guide (sorry but its late)
Disconnect the battery Jack up the front take out bottom ball joints knock pins out of shafts and swing clear.some take off the downpipe i dont just disconnect the zorst bracket.
You can leave half the prop in the box if you want to safe the oil,it splits in half,or drain the gearbox oil drop the center bearing 2 bolts and 4 bolts from rear diff pinion and slide prop clear you can mark the rear pinion but gearbox is master splined.remove the 2 piece gearbox support and the 2 bolts from the gear linkage.
Unplug the electrical plugs and earth lead on box.remove the starter bolts and swing it out the way,that should leave around 4-7 bolts holding the box in depending on year.
top left of gearbox theres an allen keyed plug remove it screw in a m6 bolt and pull out the pivot shaft which will release the clutch fork(as its a puller instead of a pusher)
Remove the rest of the bolts it may stick on the 2 dowels but a little help will sort it.
ring a bolts round the cover and you have the plate and cover off.check the flywheel for carcks etc:check spigot bearing.
replace the plate and cover line up central clean up the shaft and fit the bearing on the shaft and back into box secure with allen keyed plug.
push in the box and secure fixings pull on clutch fork and bearing should locate in cover fill oil back through the dipstick tube (if you drained it)
Sorry if ive missed anything but the beers gone and its time for the wooden hills

Not after a step by step guide (well iam really lol) has any 1 done by the other way taking gearbox out ?

Which is easier strip engine or gearbox out?
Old 17 June 2005, 11:34 AM
Juliano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morpheous
Yes m8 have done it quite a few times.....Agree with Graham Pay someone unless you have the facilities...
Heres a crash guide (sorry but its late)
Disconnect the battery Jack up the front take out bottom <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=ball%20joints" onmouseover="window.status='ball joints'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">ball joints</a> knock pins out of shafts and swing clear.some take off the downpipe i dont just disconnect the zorst bracket.
You can leave half the prop in the box if you want to safe the oil,it splits in half,or drain the gearbox oil drop the center bearing 2 bolts and 4 bolts from rear diff pinion and slide prop clear you can mark the rear pinion but gearbox is master splined.remove the 2 piece gearbox support and the 2 bolts from the gear linkage.
Unplug the electrical plugs and earth lead on box.remove the starter bolts and swing it out the way,that should leave around 4-7 bolts holding the box in depending on year.
top left of gearbox theres an allen keyed plug remove it screw in a m6 bolt and pull out the pivot shaft which will release the clutch fork(as its a puller instead of a pusher)
Remove the rest of the bolts it may stick on the 2 dowels but a little help will sort it.
ring a bolts round the cover and you have the plate and cover off.check the flywheel for carcks etc:check spigot bearing.
replace the plate and cover line up central clean up the shaft and fit the bearing on the shaft and back into box secure with allen keyed plug.
push in the box and secure fixings pull on clutch fork and bearing should locate in cover fill oil back through the dipstick tube (if you drained it)
Sorry if ive missed anything but the beers gone and its time for the wooden hills

Cheers m8 thats a gr8 help
Will let you know how it goes ,unless of course as 911 said I get a garage 4 a tonner to fit,Just was prefering to have a go myself at least then i know i have bein there doin the job! I hav little faith in garages

Was thinking of was ScoobyClinic if garage way,any 1 had experiances with them????)
Old 17 June 2005, 11:44 AM
New_scooby_04

Was thinking of was ScoobyClinic if garage way,any 1 had experiances with them????)
Loads of peeps mate, do a search, they are extremely highly regarded.

NS04
Old 17 June 2005, 12:25 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

As I said then really