VF28 oil banjo bolt

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2005, 09:03 PM
edge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VF28 oil banjo bolt

Hi.

I have a VF28 to replace my TD04. From what I've read here at Scoobynet, I'll be needing a VF-series oil banjo bolt. Problem is I have absolutely no idea what it is!

Does anyone have any pics of it and where it goes?

Also, where can I get one? Is it OE equipment?

Cheers,
Paulo
Old 16 May 2005, 11:04 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

a bit of info here
Old 18 May 2005, 01:00 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Surely the oil flow requirements of a shell/sleeve type bearing versus a roller bearing will differ greatly.

The shell/sleeve bearing in any application be it a big end, main bearing or turbo shaft needs a defined volume of oil at a predetermined pressure to allow the shaft to float on the oil film.
The type of construction will create the required back pressure within the oil feed gallery.
The pressure at the bearing surfaces is NOT the delivery pressure ie 60 psi, but is many times greater due to hydrodynamic pressure in the 1000's psi.

A roller bearing does not need the same volume of oil to lubricate the ball bearing races, so should use a restricted banjo.
If the oil feed from the main oil gallery, which is feeding the big ends and mains SHELL bearings, is sent unrestricted to a roller bearing (in this case a turbo) the resistance to flow within a roller bearing is almost non existant.
It would allow the oil within the main oil gallery take the line of least resistance,(through and past the roller bearings) thus reducing oil pressure in the main oil gallery and possibly reduce the flow of oil to the mains and big end bearings.

So with a roller bearing turbo you should use a restricted banjo (unless the turbo body has already got a restrictor built in), in a shell/sleeve bearing turbo use full size hole banjo.

All just my opinion.

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 18 May 2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 06:17 PM
edge
Scooby Regular

Thanks for you replies guys.

Only thing i need now is to know where I can get the banjo bolts from... it's looking pretty hard.

Cheers,
Paulo