Best Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2005, 09:43 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Exhaust?

Hi ,
I am looking to change the exhaust on my 02 WRX,I would like the car to have a deeper sound and a distinctive 'burble' without being extremely loud.A little more power would be nice too!
Can I just change the backbox or should I take out the centre cat aswell?
Considering the sound I am after what is the best option for me?
Thanks
Dan
Old 04 May 2005, 09:51 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

do the bakbox and centre pipe car will just have more of a growl
Old 04 May 2005, 10:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Scooby Dan
Hi ,
I am looking to change the exhaust on my 02 WRX,I would like the car to have a deeper sound and a distinctive 'burble' without being extremely loud.A little more power would be nice too!
Can I just change the backbox or should I take out the centre cat aswell?
Considering the sound I am after what is the best option for me?
Thanks
Dan
H&S original Scooby design generates a very nice, head turning burble without being so loud that it causes resentment or annoyance. I love the one fitted to my classic!

NS04
Old 04 May 2005, 10:03 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
do the bakbox and centre pipe car will just have more of a growl
catback... hks hiper.. done and done.. beautiful sound
Old 05 May 2005, 12:50 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

To be honest, most people will tell you that the one they have fitted is the best. Be aware that one person's idea of loud isn't always the same as someone else's - my exhaust (full APS system on an 02WRX, I like it) is quiet by scooby standards but most non enthusiasts think it is seriously noisy. If you're after a specific level of noise, I seriously recommend you track down a local meet and go and have a listen to a few people's, pick one you like the sound of and go with that. Most meets through this board tend to be friendly welcoming people, and there's certainly no substitute for hearing it yourself.
Old 10 May 2005, 08:55 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Hades

I'm having a full APS fitted next week to my STi7. At the moment I've just got a Hayward and Scott "scoobysport" backbox. In your opinion which is the louder? My only concern is that the new system may be too quiet.

Mike
Old 10 May 2005, 09:25 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Default Oh yes

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
H&S original Scooby design generates a very nice, head turning burble without being so loud that it causes resentment or annoyance. I love the one fitted to my classic!

NS04
I can definately second that, having visited Hayward & Scott today and having one of their fine back boxes fitted to my MY00 UK Turbo. Excellent craftsmanship and fitment and a superb sound as the engine fires into life. Idling and low-revs generate the distinctive Impreza burble which ouzes quality and respect as opposed to tacky and chav. Using the fun pedal simply generates a huge smile and you know a Scooby is in the area, but in the cabin it's not intrusive. Spot on.

Jonts.
Old 10 May 2005, 09:56 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Mike - it's a lot quieter than the big jap type exhausts, but still loud enough that most "non enthusiasts" think of it as a loud exhaust. With the full system, you might find it quieter or less throbby than the scoobyscport backbox at low speed/throttle openings, but full systems tend to roar more when you're booting it The "fairly civilised when going gently, fairly vocal when using it" concept works for me. I've never measured noise levels on a like for like to give you more info than that.

With the APS system, you can fit any other backbox (although the rest of the system isn't interchangeable). Therefore, at worst case you could always slap your old backbox onto the new system if you don't like the (lack of) noise.