Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY99 UK Turbo - Rear LSD or not? So what oil?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2005, 09:42 PM
waynerobshaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY98 UK Turbo - Rear LSD or not? So what oil?

Hi Guys,

This is my first technical post since getting my MY98 Scoobs! I've searched the forums, but can't seem to find a definative answer to whether my rear diff is a LSD or not. I know that I could jack it up and see if both wheels spin in the same direction, but its there an easier way to identify?

Reason being is that I think I have a slight leak (either driveshaft seal or breather) and would like to check levels and top up if neccesary.

Any idea what type of diff and therefore what type of oil to use? I've seen mention of Castrol syntrans, but surely you need to know if it should have LS friction modifiers in or not......Confused

Cheers guys,

Wayne.

Last edited by waynerobshaw; 29 April 2005 at 07:21 AM.
Old 28 April 2005, 09:54 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

UK's and most WRX's have a sealed rear unit so just use std g/box oil..................

personal preference is something like Millers CRX75w90 full synth or a Motul equivalent...............

alyn
Old 29 April 2005, 07:20 AM
waynerobshaw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
UK's and most WRX's have a sealed rear unit so just use std g/box oil..................

personal preference is something like Millers CRX75w90 full synth or a Motul equivalent...............

alyn
Thanks for getting back to me Alyn. Good stuff, even better because Millers head office is just around the corner and the have a little public discount shop

I just hope the diff hasn't become dry!

Cheers,

Wayne.
Old 29 April 2005, 07:23 AM
waynerobshaw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by waynerobshaw
Hi Guys,

This is my first technical post since getting my MY98 Scoobs! I've searched the forums, but can't seem to find a definative answer to whether my rear diff is a LSD or not. I know that I could jack it up and see if both wheels spin in the same direction, but its there an easier way to identify?

Reason being is that I think I have a slight leak (either driveshaft seal or breather) and would like to check levels and top up if neccesary.

Any idea what type of diff and therefore what type of oil to use? I've seen mention of Castrol syntrans, but surely you need to know if it should have LS friction modifiers in or not......Confused

Cheers guys,

Wayne.
DOH! I've just noticed that I put MY99 in the subject, I really meant MY98. I don't suppose it makes any difference to the question though!
Old 29 April 2005, 08:22 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

no model year makes little difference..................as above post the UK cars (and most WRX's) have the sealed unit.............

alyn