Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2005, 08:09 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems

Hi

I have had a very intermittent starting problem (yesterday was the 3rd or 4th time in approx 9 months) and you get the impression that it will not start.

When turning the engine over it sounds as if there is no compression in that the sound seems a higher pitch than usual and much more constant rather than the normal “eh…eh…eh” (couldn’t think of anther way to describe it!!) as the engine turns on the key normally.

There is no indication of the engine firing. The starter motor is engaged because I can move the car on the starter when in gear.

So far, I have been “lucky” in that eventually it seems that 1 cylinder catches, then 2, then 3 then 4. Once all is up and running everything seems fine apart from a bit of muck from the exhaust for a second or two, I assume, clearing the build up of fuel during the long turning process.

Normally, the car starts on about the 3rd or 4th turn or “eh” with no problems.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Is there something which can prevent compression short term?

Regards

Graham (MY99 WRX)
Old 18 April 2005, 10:01 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hot or cold when the problem occurs?

If hot then sign of crank position sensor..

Are the fans on when cold for example, indication of coolant temp sensor problem..

Failing that you did happen to accidently touch the accelerator? they hate that..

Otherwise no idea sorry.. the sounding like no compression is weird though..

Simon
Old 19 April 2005, 08:03 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

JGM - In no particular order:

Only have clutch in when starting.

No fans, or anything unusual that I can recall. The first sign of problem is the change in sound from a regular fluctuating starting sound to the more constant higher pitch whine but not so high as an unengaged starter. I’m pretty certain that I have noticed at least once that the change in sound can occur when turning the engine over or maybe during a brief pause in turning..

Always been cold although a slightly different problem, again very intermittent, over the last year or two in that sometimes when the car is slightly warm (after a run but stopped for, say, 30-60 minutes) it can take a time to pick up and run properly. Ie when turning it over it is firing but only on one or two cylinders. Don’t get the same sound change so not sure if this is related.

Regards

Graham
Old 28 April 2005, 10:20 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

So, no further thoughts then!

I'll get garage to check it out.

Graham
Old 29 April 2005, 09:06 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gdavey
over the last year or two in that sometimes when the car is slightly warm (after a run but stopped for, say, 30-60 minutes) it can take a time to pick up and run properly. Ie when turning it over it is firing but only on one or two cylinders. Don’t get the same sound change so not sure if this is related.
That is the crank sensor symphtoms(sp?) I'd clean / replace the crank sensor and check all earth connections
Old 30 April 2005, 09:53 AM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

my old legacy was like that if i left it in the garage for a night it would sound like the starter clutch was slipping but would allways start with a jump so just used to leave it outside might be starter clutch playing up ?