Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ITG air filter, was it a mistake ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2005, 11:39 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ITG air filter, was it a mistake ?

Hi all,

just purchased today this for my MY02 WRX. Now, stupidly enough I didn't read about it before, but needless to say that it vas advised by a very reputable scooby expert and I paid quite a lot for it.
So reading here, this filter seems to make the MAF bye-bye. So am I in danger ? Planned to fit it in tomorrow, but start to be worried now....

Seems to be more of a problem for the classic scoobs, but what about a bugeye ?

whay should I do ? Any help appreciated.
Old 16 April 2005, 11:44 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

The general opinion is an oil filter can drip onto the maf sensor, thus bye-bye maf. I have had a Green filter fitted for 1.5yrs with no troubles. I dont know how similar they are to ITG though.
Old 16 April 2005, 11:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Messing about with the induction side is probably dangerous given that the MAF is a sensitive component ..............

The perceived gains probably aren't worth the risks, are they????

Up to you really, send it back for a refund?? Tell them that if your MAF fails you will hold them (the suppliers) responsible.

OR the MAF issue 'could' just be a scare story, an urban myth?

Pete
Old 16 April 2005, 11:56 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

>> pslewis I start to agree with you
The funny part is that they told me that before fitting I should wipe off gently any visible oil, and that I shouldn't worry, because the rest will not get on the MAF.

On the other hand I see lots of cars fitted with this filter, but that might not mean anything...
Old 17 April 2005, 01:05 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

Isn't there anybody who has run it for a longer time ??
Old 17 April 2005, 02:28 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

ITG's have a history of causing MAF failure due to oil contamination It seems to be limited to this one make, so why not see if the supplier is preared to exchange it for a JR Racing, Green or K&N ? If exchange or refund is not available, flog it to some poor sap on eBay
Old 17 April 2005, 02:33 AM
virgin
Scooby Regular

ive done 23000 in 5 months ! ON MOTORWAYS in a 04 wrx with a green filter with no problems, ive clean it and re applied oil 3 times and as instructed

car feels slightly quicker, but then that can always be your imagination

i also reset the ecu so it can learn that more air is available,,,,,,,,,,this also could be a load of rubbish, but wether it is or it isnt, tinkering around with the scoob after a good detail clean then going for a spin is what its all about for me

Trending Topics

Old 17 April 2005, 02:46 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

virgin, resetting the ECU in a new-age car is pretty much a waste of time. The ECU's now learn extremely quickly, and so it would have compensated for the changes supplied by the MAF, AFR & O2 sensors within a couple of miles of leaving home. Green filters are fine by all reports, just go steady when re-oiling.
Old 17 April 2005, 07:07 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

dont believe everything you read on here m8,i run 1 for 2 yrs with out a problem,just wipe the oil off the fitter(well as much as you can).
Old 17 April 2005, 07:27 AM
elgordano
Scooby Regular

i've run one for 2 years as well without any problems. i'm sure everyone on here used to recommend them back then.
Old 17 April 2005, 08:11 AM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

rumor/general opinon on here has it:
1. MAFs are only realy dodgy on MY99-00, the other years are no where near as bad.
2. Its ANY filter that needs oiling, its the oil that get sucked off the filter and contaminates the MAF (cleaning the MAF is not recomended either).
3. Vibration has been blamed as well, so poorly fitting/fitted Cone filter kits are a no no(some of them have very bad filtration btw).Unless you are going for BIG power, removing the snorkel from the innner wing with a good panel filter is pretty good anyway.

If you got a MY99-00 you should know what MAF failure signs to look for anyway

Last edited by unfeasablylargegonads; 17 April 2005 at 12:06 PM. Reason: was still asleep when first posted ;)
Old 17 April 2005, 10:05 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone, good to know that there were others using with no problems.
I'll wipe the oil off well before fitting and keep my eyes open.

Cheers,
B.
Old 17 April 2005, 09:28 PM
RB5193
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by maci
Thanks everyone, good to know that there were others using with no problems.
I'll wipe the oil off well before fitting and keep my eyes open.

Cheers,
B.
B. don't bother, take it back and get your money back!! I fitted one to my RB5 about 9 months ago and it managed to suck all the goo/oily stuff straight through the filter and cover the electrode on the MAF sensor which then cost me £75 to replace. I've now purchased a genuine STI panel filter for £40 incl imported from Hong Kong and delivered to my door, this is the proper job no oil, no goo, just loads of go!!

See link below to get one, just E-mail Simon or Anita to order and you can pay by Pay Pal, Easy!!

STI Racing Hong Kong

Mark......
Old 18 April 2005, 10:29 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5193
B. don't bother, take it back and get your money back!! I fitted one to my RB5 about 9 months ago and it managed to suck all the goo/oily stuff straight through the filter and cover the electrode on the MAF sensor which then cost me £75 to replace. I've now purchased a genuine STI panel filter for £40 incl imported from Hong Kong and delivered to my door, this is the proper job no oil, no goo, just loads of go!!

See link below to get one, just E-mail Simon or Anita to order and you can pay by Pay Pal, Easy!!

STI Racing Hong Kong

Mark......
Thanks Mark.

I see that lots of people are viewing this thread, so I thought I'll give an update.
I called the place where I bought it, and asked if the'd take it back, but they don't really seem to want so. Instead they said that they are using it for 7 years in many cars and no problems ever. Said also that there is no oil on it but some grease, which might get also the the sensor, but won't cause problems. I told them, that then I fit it, but if the sensor fails I'll come to them and I expect them to replace the sensor for free. He kindda agreed.
So This is it, but if it will cause me problems I'll write here again so that everybody knows.
Old 18 April 2005, 10:32 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

I had an ITG panel filter in my Type R - wiped off all excess oil when fitting, MAF was shagged in 2 months (~1000 miles)
Old 18 April 2005, 03:50 PM
RB5193
Scooby Regular

B.

Trust me don't do it!!!!

A main dealer told me to get an ITG, now I know why (New Maf every 9 months £75!!!)

Mark
Old 18 April 2005, 05:31 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Dont fit one to your car,an ITG contaminated my MAF on my old MY01 and they are £250 + Vat for a new one and they are identical up to the MY04/05 models.

Yes the Classic MAF is £75 but not 01 onwards, get shut of it and buy the Green or JR filter.

He might say he will sort you a replacement MAF if it fails but try getting anything from them as they will deny it could possibly be the filter and what if you dont know its failled or failling and blows a cylinder due to a poor air/fuelling ratio caused by a £40 air filter.

Zippy
Old 19 April 2005, 07:59 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot for your input, much appreciated!!!!
I will not put it on, I'll go and try to get the money back.

Cheers,
B.
Old 19 April 2005, 08:08 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Had an ITG on my 2001 car for 3 years & no detriment to performance or engine, though I have just replaced it witha green cotton filter.

www.xtremescoobies.co.uk
Old 19 April 2005, 12:44 PM
dogpole
Scooby Regular

i had a maf go while using an ITG filter, the inside of the air box had pools of oily grease stuff sat in it
Old 20 April 2005, 06:18 PM
Scooby50WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dogpole
i had a maf go while using an ITG filter, the inside of the air box had pools of oily grease stuff sat in it
This situation and the comments I have read in this thread let me surprised. We are importer of the ITG filter in Switzerland and before to ask for that to ITG, we had used those filters for 2 years on our own Subaru.
After each year of using I had personnaly un-mounted the air-box, the MAF sensor and the piping. All I have seen was effectively some oil drops in the bottom of the air box and a lot of dust and particles over the underside of the filter (that was a good thing) very easy to wipe with a clean tissue.
The piping after the box was absolutely not sticky and the MAF in perfect condition.

This experience was done by another professionnal user in the same time, on many cars.

After been designed as importer, we have been always in touch with our Subaru air intake parts and all continue to be OK, the car has runned 53000 km with an ITG filter until today.

The discussion you have here is coming on the table time to time and the last time, I had a contact with the ITG Director to discuss with him of this situation, here was his reply :

"If customers do not want to read the instructions supplied with the
filter or contact us with what they think are problems then there is
nothing that I can do.

It is impossible for the oil on an itg air filter to pass upstream onto
the MAF sensor. (NOTE: We have never knowingly been made aware of any
MAF sensor problems caused by our filters) which is one of the reason
why our filters sell so well with Subaru owners.

The and I quote they say they are good for 30K has never come from itg,
so once again miss information. All the paperwork supplied with the
filters says the filters will work from 60-100K miles depending on
conditions.

May I suggest that if some customers feel they have a problem why don't you
suggest that they contact us via the web site to discuss their problems.
We are approachable and helpful (well almost, and most of the time)."

So, my friends, you know what to do !

To close my post, may I suggest to think about something that's absolutely real :
MAF sensors are not manufactured to last forever. Ask professionnals around you and you'll have the confirmation.
A lot of problems, small or big, come generally from "tired" MAF sensors even on absolutely OEM cars ! so, be careful when you claim that yours are corrupted by an ITG filter. We have sell more than 200 of them for Subaru cars and all we have eared and read from the customers are satisfied comments.

Please, don't start proceedings against me, I have no interest in the ITG company and will not have any benefit after this post :-) I just wanted to keep you in touch with my experiences.
Old 20 April 2005, 07:06 PM
jb2000
Scooby Regular

ppl forget that subaru theselves fit a oil type filter

would still fit a green though
Old 20 April 2005, 07:14 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Fair comment from the ITG dealer but as he said he is a dealer for them, we all have our opinions and experiances and some of us have voiced them but in my case the MAF on my 9 month old MY01 was definately contaminated with the blue oil from the filter, Subaru UK took one look at the MAF and said 'No Chance' on a replacement under warranty, due to using the ITG filter.

I then ran the standard paper filter for another 16 months and the MAF was always clean as a whistle.

Zippy
Old 21 April 2005, 12:56 AM
RB5193
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Fair comment from the ITG dealer but as he said he is a dealer for them, we all have our opinions and experiances and some of us have voiced them but in my case the MAF on my 9 month old MY01 was definately contaminated with the blue oil from the filter, Subaru UK took one look at the MAF and said 'No Chance' on a replacement under warranty, due to using the ITG filter.

I then ran the standard paper filter for another 16 months and the MAF was always clean as a whistle.

Zippy
I can safely say that the MAF was replaced two weeks before I fitted the ITG filter and bingo only 9 months and 3200 miles down the road mine did exactly the same thing sticky gooey stuff straight through the foam and mesh grill and all over the inside of the intake pipe and MAF sensor. So all I can suggest to all you people that have had no problems with them is that you must drive the vehicles like tarts