Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Some metal in the gearbox mean problems?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2005, 11:24 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some metal in the gearbox mean problems?

I had my 90k service today and was told that there were some small bits of metal found when changing the gear box oil. Len who did the service at Subaru4you said that it wasn't like the swarf that you'd expect to see.

I know that I've had the odd 'graunch' when trying to shift gears too fast before and wondered if that could have been the cause or is it more likely that I could be getting close to problems? Most of my big miles have been down to motorway miles so the number of gear changes will be far lower than on most cars with those miles over a number of years?

I was thinking about the re-map (the engine is 10-15k old) but maybe that money should be put aside for the box?

onder2:

Mike
Old 16 April 2005, 11:24 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it stripped and checked before you kill it completely.
Old 16 April 2005, 02:25 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

most likely the remains of the 3rd gear washer that eventually gets bent and chewed up by 2nd gear. as above get it stripped and the modified 3rd gear and synchro put in
Old 16 April 2005, 07:46 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Gulp.
Old 17 April 2005, 10:23 AM
Echo
Scooby Regular

I've done a search for the costs to get the box out and stip down, can't find anything. Is it a few hundred to do this or is it mega bucks?

Sorry to be a bit non technical, is there an improved 3rd gear and synchro that should be put in?

Ho hum. New engine so guess that it's not a surprise that the box is getting tired too. Thing is, the car drives great and changes gear great (except the very, very odd stickiness). I was expecting far beter life from things, one of the reasons I went for a Scoob was the reliability

Mike
Old 18 April 2005, 03:24 PM
rally colin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Echo
I've done a search for the costs to get the box out and stip down, can't find anything. Is it a few hundred to do this or is it mega bucks?

Sorry to be a bit non technical, is there an improved 3rd gear and synchro that should be put in?

Ho hum. New engine so guess that it's not a surprise that the box is getting tired too. Thing is, the car drives great and changes gear great (except the very, very odd stickiness). I was expecting far beter life from things, one of the reasons I went for a Scoob was the reliability

Mike
I may well be able to help with your gearbox give me a bell on 07771767874
Old 18 April 2005, 10:58 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

yep there is a modified 3rd gear which does away with the washer as it's all built in to the gear itself and you don't get this problem anymore

Trending Topics

Old 18 April 2005, 11:38 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Mark! Cheers too Colin.

After speaking with Len (who did the service) again today, he said that it didn't look like it was part of a washer and the couple of bits were quite small. He thought that from his experience it's likely that I'm ok and as the car is driving so well with no noise etc, the bits were more likely from a graunched gear change - I've done a few of those that scared the hell out of me at the time.

So, I'm going to keep a close eye and ear on it and if I notice a change I'll get in to be stripped down pronto. I'm pretty hyper tuned in to noise (being an ex recording engineer) and hear stuff most people don't, so fingers crossed.

BTW, was chatting with a UK300 friend recently who said that on their last oil change some small bits were found. He was covered by warranty and they swapped the box. It turned out later that there was nothing wrong.

Anyway, I hope I'm right that they just don't go bang and you get some noise before it's too late?!

Mike