Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

please help me. Engine Timing Question

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2005, 11:16 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy please help me. Engine Timing Question

the big end went on my engine a month ago.

I bought a short block engine off another scoobynet member on here a few weeks ago.
I took my old one down and he, with an engine builder in a garage took my heads off cleaned and put them onto the new short block and put it all together again for a princly sum of £1400.

ive fitted the engine on the weekend after waiting for new manifold gaskets to arrive.
i filled the oil, steering fluid and coolant up and cranked it for about 30 seconds (without the crank sensor connected to get the oil around) reconneced it and tried to fire up, but nothing. it just turns over and over. I then took out the sparkplugs to see if they were wet and they were so i let dry and tried again. the car the burped amidst all the turning over but still wont fire. i then decided to check the timing belt.

The four pullies align up as stated in the workbook, but the crank pully timing mark (on the oil pump) is lined up with the arrow (on the crank pully), not the line!!

Ive been told this is why it wont start but im really worried that turning it over soo much and the fact it popped a couple of times that its damaged something.

can someone please put my mind at rest....

how do i align up the crank pully? is it a case of locking the side pullys up, removing the belt, turning the crank around till its lined up and replacing the belt?

please please please help. ive replaced the gearbox, diff, turbo and engine within 2 months cos they all died one after the other

Simon
Old 06 April 2005, 12:35 AM
ticky
Scooby Senior

The correct marking on the crankshaft sprocket is the line not the triangular shaped marking.
Some have aligned the cams & held then in position by using small woods wedge inbetween both cam wheel to hold there position, then put the belt on.
I just got an assistant to try to hold the RH side cam wheels (as these tend to fight more) & then fitted the belt. Took me more that 1 try.
Old 06 April 2005, 08:30 AM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

just to re iterate, the seller and his engine builder timed the engine.

i understand that its the line not the triangle arrow, but do i just lock the outercams in place and turn the crank to line up? or do i have to do anything else?

im just really worried that ive turned it over and over that its done some damage to the valves/heads. can someone tell me what the chances of this please?

cheers

Si

Last edited by SyHightower; 06 April 2005 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06 April 2005, 09:51 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

As above - definately timed up wrong...The arrow should point to the RH side of the engineas you look at it from the front.

Either take it back to the seller and drop it on his foot, or pull the belt off yourself, time it up properly and cross your fingers.

Good luck
Old 06 April 2005, 10:52 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Crank sensor reconnected (just checking)
Cam sensor connected
Coil packs connected correctly (ie the right way round)

follow this re cambelt
http://206.13.93.15/STi_Stuff/STi_Manual/02.%20ENGINE%20SECTION%20(STi)/04.%20MECHANICAL/15.%20Timing%20Belt%20Assembly.pdf

and you cant go wrong
Old 07 April 2005, 06:52 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

changed the timing to perfect and it fires up, but sounds mechanical. engine builder assures me that this is normal for forged pistons???
It took a couple of mins to settle into a even tickover, which i assume is normal.

After 5 mins and the water reads warm, on idle it sounded kind of like a diesel until i open the throttle a little. sound coming from passenger side to the rear of the engine. the tappets sound noisy too.

im changing the oil and filter again under advise of that there could have been petrol contamination. got semisynth again to go in.

The builder advised me to run the car in, and he sayd the engine should settle and quieten down, but im worried that its going to go bang again.

the sellers mobile number appears to be disconected as well......

opinions please

Si

Last edited by SyHightower; 07 April 2005 at 07:37 PM. Reason: didnt quite make sense. lol
Old 07 April 2005, 08:48 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

take the car to them!

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2005, 09:15 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

i would but its a 440 mile round trip, and they 'may not be there' if you know what i mean. the engine builder and the garage say they have nothing to do with it even though the seller and the builder agreed a 3 month 'waranty'

i just want a couple of opinions of what it should sound like with forged pistons. and is the engine builder right it should sort itself out when run in?
would the knocking diesel sound be because of bent valves due to wrong timing?

Si
Old 07 April 2005, 09:36 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

with some forged pistons you get a loud piston slap noise when cold, dependant on clearances they have used, and it often quitens down once the engine has warmed up.