Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Scoobysport rear box on a STi8

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2005, 02:18 PM
BigBaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoobysport rear box on a STi8

I am considering a replacement rear box from Scoobysport for my STi8. I have had a unit from them in the past, previous management, for my old RB5 and was very please with the sound it produced. This however replaced a twin tailpipe box for a single larger tailpipe along with the flow improvements. After e-mailing them I appear to have the choice of a 3" tail or a larger Japanesse type bean can tail. I am looking for the subtle look and rolled end to the pipe with similar looks to the original unit so would be looking at the 3" unit. My only concern now is that I do not know anyone with one fitted to a STi and I am not sure how much difference there will be sound wise between an original vs Scoobysport box, when they both have similar diameter tail pipes. So if ther is anybody that has made this change I am looking for constructive comments between the STI unit vs Scoobysport unit.

Cheers

Baz.
Old 05 April 2005, 02:45 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hayward and scott do the 'original' scoobysport ones and can do any style
Old 05 April 2005, 10:46 PM
warr555
Scooby Regular

My friend has an MY03 STI and changed to an H&S back box after hearing my old MY99 which had the same box. The sound of the otherwise standard STI was much improved, a deeper note, not too loud when cruising but great when booting it (i.e. the standard Scoobysport sound). However, to me it seemed quieter inside the cabin than I remembered my old MY99 was. Perhaps the new age cars have better sound proofing.

The standard MY03 STI with H&S back box sounded better than the MY03 STI with PPP which I then had for a while after my MY99. Had I kept the STI, I would have considered changing the Prodrive back box for a H&S one as the Prodrive one seemed to make a wierd whooshing noise when booting it and was generally a bit quiet after five years with the H&S.
Old 06 April 2005, 09:54 AM
BigBaz
Scooby Regular

warr555,

Thans for the info. Can you clarify the backbox unit you are refering to. I have been on the H&S Suburu link and there appears to be 3 backbox units they produce i.e. standard sound unit, 4" 99db unit and a 4.5" unit.

http://www.haywardandscott.co.uk/subaru/index.htm

Cheers

Baz
Old 06 April 2005, 01:21 PM
warr555
Scooby Regular

Baz,

It is the one described as "standard noise" which I think has a 3½" tailpipe. I think they can pretty much produce whatever you ask for, but for me the standard one was loud enough and I preferred the subtle look of the 3½" exit. I presume this was the same one you had on your RB5?
Old 06 April 2005, 05:14 PM
A1exander
Scooby Regular

Speak to Ian at H&S. The tailpipe is 4 inch inwardly rolled and hardly looks any bigger than the standard STI one though the original scoobysport design might have been 3.5 inches. I asked them to base it on the original design but with the 4 inch TP. The salesman at the local dealer said it sounded better than the PPP car!!!!

Might be worth getting the de silenced centre section too. It did not make it much louder on tick over or normal driving but makes a much better sound on hard throttle when it comes on boost.

A