Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

6 speed box into a classic -what are the problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2005, 05:52 AM
johnwiz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed box into a classic -what are the problems?

Hi all,
as the synchro seems to have gone on my Type R 5th gear & cruising is not ideal I'm seriously considering the 6 speed box.
I've worked out (tks to Harvey Smith) with the UK 2005 STI box ratios I could probably get another 10 mph at 4000 in top which would be ideal.
Anyone know:

a) Are all the bug eye/blob eye UK 6 speed boxes the same?

b) What other pitfalls should I look out for?

c)How do I ensure I end up with the correct end result ie are there output gears on the box which you can change independent of the actual 6 internal ratios?Sorry complete dumbass re cars, know a little more re bikes;-)
I absolutely DO NOT want to raise the overall gearing I love the acceleration away from the lights,just that a true 74mph at 4000 rpm makes for slow & noisy progress on a motorway.

Cheers,John
Old 02 April 2005, 06:07 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search the subject on this Section, or talk to Dvid at www.apiengines.co.uk as he really knows all the swings and roundabouts.(and there are some)

He will supply/install/warranty the job.

The gearbox weighs a lot more so some accelleration will be lost, but you may not notice it on the road. Least you can go 'drag racing' with confidence!

Read MarkA's thread on the Projects Section, he is just about to do his in public.
Also check out www.22B.co.uk as the ratio availability details are on there too.

From memory, you will need the Jap spec box (Sti8) but if you have dccd and want to keep it, then the cost could be high.

Call David for no bullsh!t advice. Just tell him '911' sent you, though he might curse.

Graham
Old 02 April 2005, 02:40 PM
johnwiz
Scooby Regular

Many Thanks 911, I was going to call API anyway
Forgot about the DCCD, I've only had the car a couple of months & not really played with it but I would like to retain it.Oh dear the bank manager will be upset .....again!
Cheers,John
Old 02 April 2005, 04:21 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

if you get one of the newest 6 speed boxes you will need the driveshafts as well, as they connect directly into the gearbox and yours wont fit
Old 02 April 2005, 04:57 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

er nope, they dont steve, thats just someone who doesnt know the axle stubbs come out easily.

most boxes i have seen that seem to originate from Ireland, seem to have the axle stubs missing. Easy to fix.
Old 02 April 2005, 06:14 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi! l'll be happy to talk to you about the 'ins and outs' I'm not in the office on Monday, but if you'd care to call Tuesday, l'll talk you through with no obligation. 01926 614333

We have about 5 or so in stock at the mo., including ones with dccd. There really isn't much to it in terms of fitting or snags.

David APi Engines / APi lmpreza
www.apiengines.com

Originally Posted by johnwiz
Many Thanks 911, I was going to call API anyway
Forgot about the DCCD, I've only had the car a couple of months & not really played with it but I would like to retain it.Oh dear the bank manager will be upset .....again!
Cheers,John
Old 02 April 2005, 06:16 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by P20SPD
er nope, they dont steve, thats just someone who doesnt know the axle stubbs come out easily.

most boxes i have seen that seem to originate from Ireland, seem to have the axle stubs missing. Easy to fix.
Dead right Stephen, missing stubs can be a problem as they are not the same as 5 speed ones, but we have an alternative that works. I'm talking JDM here just in case the UK / Euro 6 speeds is what you refer to do.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com

Last edited by APIDavid; 02 April 2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02 April 2005, 06:17 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by 911
Search the subject on this Section, or talk to Dvid at www.apiengines.co.uk as he really knows all the swings and roundabouts.(and there are some)

He will supply/install/warranty the job.

The gearbox weighs a lot more so some accelleration will be lost, but you may not notice it on the road. Least you can go 'drag racing' with confidence!

Read MarkA's thread on the Projects Section, he is just about to do his in public.
Also check out www.22B.co.uk as the ratio availability details are on there too.

From memory, you will need the Jap spec box (Sti8) but if you have dccd and want to keep it, then the cost could be high.

Call David for no bullsh!t advice. Just tell him '911' sent you, though he might curse.

Graham
MORE free coffee I guess..............

Thanks for the plug Graham.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 02 April 2005, 07:26 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by P20SPD

ive just added a 6 speed to mine and it needed the drive shafts as the splines go directly into the gearbox, so when the salvage yard remove the drive shafts the splines you need are on the driveshafts they wont split either as they reckon its the drive shaft ruined

just read david post and my box is from the newest JDM impreza
Old 03 April 2005, 09:16 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Steve, the scrapyards seem to remove the driveshafts from the gearbox by pulling hard, so pulling the axle stubs out of the box at the same time.

What they should do is knock the dowell pin out that holds the driveshaft to the axle stubb, and then slide the driveshaft off the axle stubb.

You can buy the specific parts from subaru, for circa £90 i think, and then your original drive shafts will slide on.

Sounds like david has a different solution, but not sure what.

Steve, if your saying you have sti drive shafts on your uk classic, then i think you could have a problem (unless its already been covered), that is basically the sti has a wider track than a classic car, so the drive shafts are longer.

Steven
Old 03 April 2005, 07:09 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

steve what there saying about the stub axles is true
Old 03 April 2005, 09:32 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

i aslo am thinking of the six speed box, let us know how you get on johnwiz and of the price£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££, cheers m8
Old 11 April 2005, 11:30 PM
johnwiz
Scooby Regular

Am running out of funds & no bugger wants to buy my STI7 so I'm going for rebuild of standard box & a Quiet exhaust for now
Sorry Stu, tks to everyone for their advice.
John
Old 12 April 2005, 10:44 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

Once the correct box for the DCCD is sourced is it a fairly straight forward swap then ?