Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Upping my BHP

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2005, 02:53 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upping my BHP

I was considering a piggyback chip solution for my MY96 STi import but have today spoken to a man who says this is not a good idea and fairly damaging to my engine.

He has suggested:

1 Knocklink
2 Electronic Boost Controller
3 Fuel Cut Defender

TOTAL: £605 including VAT.

Yes, more expensive than the piggyback but cheaper in the long run because my engine will be more stable.

Do people here concur with this advice? I was also advised to change my intercooler for something more meaty... what you reckon?

Can you also recommend makes/models of the above to buy and from where?

Karen x

Last edited by Soulgirl; 29 March 2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 29 March 2005, 02:58 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

For just £100 more you could have a fully mappable ecu. An Apexi PFC mapped by Andy F, far better tha just upping the boost and using a fuel cut defender. Andy will tailor the fuel and ignition maps to suit the boost you want to run and the mods already done to the car (if any).

However if you haven't done the basics of full decat and panle filter/induction kit these will take teh best part of £600 off you.

Tony.

Last edited by Tone Loc; 29 March 2005 at 03:22 PM. Reason: edited to add 'more' PFC does not cost £100!!!!!!
Old 29 March 2005, 03:11 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I have done full decat and air induction already. I have been told that these piggyback ecu thingies are not good for an engine mapped for 100 ron though.

What about this boost controller? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=WDVW&tc=photo

Last edited by Soulgirl; 29 March 2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 29 March 2005, 03:18 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

This isn't a piggy back tho. You ecu is taken out and the Apexi Power FC is the new ecu. Andy will then map the car on what ever fuel you like, Super/Optimax/Unleaded. The choice is yours. It adjusts the entire fuel and ignition maps, boost levels, accel enrichment etc etc etc.

I suggest doing a bit of search about the Power FC and it's capabilities. Who ever wants to take £600 off you for a boost controller etc is pulling your pants down IMHO.

Tony.
Old 29 March 2005, 03:21 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Perhaps I need to speak to Andy F then... I assume he is a member here. I have been in brief conversation with another member about a chip. Trouble is, I need independant advice where I'm not gonna get shafted but at the same time I also want something that will give me around 320-40 BHP whereby my engine doesn't melt down
Old 29 March 2005, 03:22 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
For just £100 you could have a fully mappable ecu. An Apexi PFC mapped by Andy F, far better tha just upping the boost and using a fuel cut defender. Andy will tailor the fuel and ignition maps to suit the boost you want to run and the mods already done to the car (if any).

However if you haven't done the basics of full decat and panle filter/induction kit these will take teh best part of £600 off you.

Tony.
Where can you get a mapped Apexi PFC for £100??????????????????????????????
Old 29 March 2005, 03:23 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Where can you get a mapped Apexi PFC for £100??????????????????????????????
Check the edit.

Tony.
Old 29 March 2005, 03:28 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I have actually seen that ECU in the scoobyshop and shot an email to him - I remember now. It was £700 ish. I feel silly now coz I just sent him a PM too LOL. I was quite impressed with the spec of the apexi but in his email the travelling costs, on top of the ECU was £200. So that takes it to £900 - nearly twice the price of this other solution that apparently gives just as good or better outcome?!

Mind you, there are dead cheap flights from scotland to Bournemouth at the moment
Old 29 March 2005, 03:33 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

soul girl,

tone is correct.

a fuel cut defender just tricks your car into allowing more boost, and a boost controller just raises the boost limit.

In my opinion this is far worse than a dedicated properly mapped piggy back hip, never mind a proper ecu.

Andy or Pavlo (depending on where you are in the country) would definitely be a much better bet.

The apexi lets you fully map the fuelling, the timing (allows you to alter to 98 or even 95 ron) and the boost and doesn't trick the ecu into thinking it is seeing safer values.

It will be like your car has been tailored for more boost as opposed to hoping the standard ecu can account for the different amount of fuel required to burn in the excess air that raising the boost will give you.

In short, properly mapped replacement ecu is far far safer than the other options you have put forward.
Old 29 March 2005, 03:36 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Please God, give me magical engineering powers

Where abouts in the country is Pavlo then?
Old 29 March 2005, 03:37 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
nearly twice the price of this other solution that apparently gives just as good or better outcome?!
The problem there is you can't compare a boost controller with a fully mappable ecu. The results will NOT be as good and i'd give you my car if the results are better than a mappable ecu.

To get 340bhp on the standard ecu map with just increase boost is asking for the engine to sh*t itself IMHO.

The other option is a 'scoobyecu' which can be custom mapped for about £350 (not sure if that's plus vat tho). Can do similar things to the Apexi but the standard ecu map is altered to suit rather than being replaced.

But to safely get to the 340bhp level you'll be looking at new injectors and intercooler, so another £750 upwards. You'd also do well to change the front brakes at that sort of power level if you already haven't.

Tony.
Old 29 March 2005, 03:39 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
Please God, give me magical engineering powers

Where abouts in the country is Pavlo then?
Paul's Hertfordshire way iirc.....

Tony.
Old 29 March 2005, 03:40 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

And I would need to get the intercooler and the injectors done before the ECU otherwise that would need remapping right. I understand about the breaks too... But 6 pot aren't necessary are they? 4 pot would suffice?
Old 29 March 2005, 03:42 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Once you have the intial map done, then further remaps will be about £150 or so. So not entirelly necessary to have everything done at once but it would be better.

Later 4 pots with good pads and discs are ok for road use.... Prodrive Alcon 4 pots (i have these) or AP 4 or 6 pots are needed for track work.

Tony.
Old 29 March 2005, 03:48 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

And do I need to replace front and rear brakes or are the back unnecessary? It would seem that I should save at least £3k before I even embark on upping the BHP then - thanks for all your input

Last edited by Soulgirl; 29 March 2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 29 March 2005, 04:04 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

running an sti thats decatted is not too safe let alone adding electronics to fool the ecu. a remap is the safest way of ensuring your engine is able to cope with whatever mods you add. Perhaps you can get some other scoobynetters from down your way to go for a remap and share the travelling costs for Andy to come down.
ken
Old 29 March 2005, 04:05 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

A upgraded set of rear brake pads will normally be ok.

You can upgarde in stages so the cost doesn't seem so much. The ecu will form the basis tho so don't scrimp on this bit. If you went for the Apexi now you could end up with 290ish bhp and remapped for UK fuel, then in 6 months (or whatever) when you have saved for the intercooler and injectors go for a remap. Be careful how far you push the torque level tho or you may start to count 5 speed gearboxes as consumables.

Tony.
Old 29 March 2005, 04:18 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Gearbox as a consumable eek! Well, to make myself feel better I have just ordered a set of crystal replacements to detango the bitch LOL. I am seriously considering the Apexi ECU now though
Old 29 March 2005, 07:03 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Soulgirl

There will be a few at the RR day next month that are running Apexi ECU's. Might be worth picking a few brains on that day to help come to your own conclusion.

Look out for Andy (Peanuts) and ColinC (if he's going).

Cheers

Terry

I'd definately recommend the remapped ECU though over what you were initially suggesting.
Old 30 March 2005, 06:57 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Superb! Thanks Terry... I will annoy them all and get them to look under my hood in the hope of recommendations
Old 31 March 2005, 11:25 AM
STi Blues
Scooby Regular

Sougirl, For what it's worth I ran an MY97 Sti with boost controller and knocklink for 50k miles without any hiccups.
I originally got the boost controller when my de-cat caused car to overboost. I ran a Blitz controller at 1.25bar with knocklink never lighting more than greens at full bore (Optimax and Millers always used). I didn't need Fuel Cut Defender to run this boost.
RR'd at PE 320BHP and 303 lb/ft
You could pick up a 2nd hand Blitz and knocklink on the cheap!
I would also suggest that you install the Blitz behind drivers footwell - you will be able to alter settings by grovelling on the ground - but won't get tempted to 'tweak' when an Evo pulls up next to you at the lights !
Old 31 March 2005, 04:27 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Interesting... thanks STi Blues
Old 31 March 2005, 05:06 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Karen: £605 for what you list sounds rather expensive.
K.L. from Jap Innovations is under £150 and I have Hybrid Electronic Boost Controllers for £140. This particular EBC incorporates an FCD and fast acting 3 port boost controll solenoid so good value for money.
However, I do not think that is your best route for safe reliable smiles per £.
Andy can do the Apexi Power FC for around £700 fitted and mapped and this can be configured to flash the check engine light when knock is DETected. (pun)
The Apexi is mapped to your particular engine modifications so will optimise what you already have safely.
It would be worth saving for this but have any mods you intend to do completed beforehand. As already pointed out you could get Andy down to Bournemouth to do several cars in the area at the same time and split the travel costs.

The cheaper alternative could be a Superchip or similar fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. (That would be the important part.) I did 20,000 happy and fun miles on one of these with no problems on my first Subaru.
Old 31 March 2005, 09:23 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Thanks harvey. I think I am going to save for the new ECU rather than chancing it