Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Strange Noise after fitting VF28 - Could it be the downpipe gasket ??

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2005, 06:50 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange Noise after fitting VF28 - Do all roller bearing turbo do this....

Removed the TD04 from my UK yesterday and fitted a VF28 which was bought 2nd hand with about 7,000 miles on it, quite a while back now.....

All seems to be OK, once the smoke from burning oil and coolant cleared.

Boost is very good and there is little difference in spool compared to the TD04, but with a much bigger shove in the back.
However..... when hitting about 1 bar in the higher gears i.e 3rd/4th there is quite a loud noise which appears to be coming from the turbo area.
It's kinda of somewhere between a squeal and a whistle. The best description would be that it is similar to a Mooing Dump valve but slightly higher frequency.

I have read other posts mentioning that a faulty gasket can cause this, and as I was a cheap skate and used the old one, then maybe that is all it is.

as mentioned above it drives very nice and is certainly an improvment on the TD04, just this noise is of concern.

There was no float on the turbo input/output shafts and you can hear the turbo slightly, when running down when you cut the ignition. Which I think is normal on a roller bearing VF.

For now I have set it to run actuator cracking pressure (about 0.5 bar) until I get it sorted.

Last edited by Scott.T; 25 March 2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 23 March 2005, 08:45 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you "play" with the noise mate? Like backing on and off the pressure slightly and change the tone of the noise?
Old 23 March 2005, 08:50 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Got you pm again bud.

I don't recall fitting a new gasket at the time, but try taking the extra wires you have out of any of the bulkhead rubbers. Just to be sure, rather than going and pulling out turbo's again.
Old 24 March 2005, 08:53 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

I'm gonna check all the intercooler pipes, cold side air intake and blank the dump valve to see if that eliminates it. While I'm there I'll check I havn't disturbed the brake lines and causesd them to resonate.

If that does not fix it I may as well put some new gaskets on as I have read that they can do anything from Buzz, Squeel or even sound like nasally induction (which was a Pete Croney Quote).

If that fails the the TD04 will go back on....

I'll be draining the coolant this time though to stop it all running down the back of the block and collecting inside the up-pipe and header heatshield, And causing so much smoke for the 1st day or so........
Old 24 March 2005, 11:01 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Well checked everything over this morning and all appears to be OK. Took intercooler off and checked all the pipes, took the cold air intake jubilee clip off the turbo inlet and repositioned and tighted. Tried to tighten the exhaust bolts but they seem to be as tight as possible (without going silly). Also blanked of the DV......but the noise is still there....

Set it to run 1 bar and no noise, set it to run almost 1.2 bar and the noise returns.....

Listening to it a bit more is could almost be described as sounding like and old kettle whistle as it comes to boiling point, although maybe a little more assmatic.

There are no other noises, I can't even hear the turbo whistle as it spools up.

It could be me but it may even be getting quieter...the turbo has been sitting around for over a year now, so maybe it's got a built in squeek ?????
Old 24 March 2005, 12:08 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Scott

I wouldn't worry about it. My td04 did that (high pitched metallic type screech/whistle noise on full boost from 4000rpm up). I thought it was the wastegate arm moving because this made a squeaking noise when I moved it. Tried some wd40 and it may have improved a bit but never went away.

When I took the td04 off it was in good condition, no play in the shaft so I don't think it was bearing related. The vf34 I have fitted (nearly new with 3000miles use) has done it also since fitting but only when the boost is over 1.2 bar. There is no squeak when moving the wastegate this time, and if I fold the rear seats down the position of the noise changes to coming from the exhaust through the boot floor rather than from the turbo area. As a result I think it has to be either coming from the passage of exhaust through the turbine or through the wastegate at high velocity. Again there was no play in the shaft of the vf34 prior to fitting, and it holds boost very well, and spools well (too well in all honesty as it surges at 1.3 bar 3000rpm in 5th unless you hold the boost/spool back a bit)

Sounds like your car is coming along nicely. As good as it feels without a remap though, it is soooo much better when you get a Power FC and Andy.F remap

Cheers

Simon
Old 24 March 2005, 01:04 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the TD04 and VF oil banjo's the same??
Old 24 March 2005, 01:12 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

No the VF series have a smaller orifice cause they need less oil to lubricate the bearings. Saying that I have the td04 one fitted to mine and it has no problems spooling up
Old 24 March 2005, 01:14 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking it was likely to be that way around.. ie. more oil with TD oil pipe..

oh well...
Old 24 March 2005, 02:08 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

I have also WD'd the wastegate as this was squeeking when manually opened/closed.

I'm off up to the local dealers to pick up some inlet and outlet gaskets. Hopefully with a bit of playing in the national speed limit areas it may work it in and end up being quieter.

Si,
I've fitted the smaller banjo,with filter
Old 24 March 2005, 08:10 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Si,

When you say yours did make the noise, was it only audible in 3rd/4th/5th.
I can't get it to do it, or at least can't here it in 1st/2nd.

Therefore I think it may be engine speed/turbo speed related/flow.
Old 25 March 2005, 11:22 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Well Turbo of and on again this morning with new gaskets fitted. Took 2.5 hours max which I thought was pretty good going. Especially as I had the help/hinderance of a 4 year old.

Test drive yet to come to prove if the noise has gone. I am having conflicting reports with some VF users stating they havn't noticed a noise and some saying that at 1.2 bar their's does. Maybe those that havn't heard it are running induction kits which would probably drown it out.

The good news is that on inspecting the turbo again while it was off, there is defo no play in the bearings, the fins are fine and there is no sign of it touching the sides on both the inlet and outlet i.e no marks on the inlet and not a single mark in the carbon deposits on the outlet.

I did notice that the round wastegate flap is very rattley on the end of the shaft when it's open, but then inspecting the TD04 it is much the same. So perhaps it's that that's resonating.
Old 25 March 2005, 12:21 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

It does it in all gears Scott, but the fact it only becomes apparent at highish boost which is also at target leads me to believe it is something to do with the flow of exhaust through the wastegate. The wastegate resonating is a good possibility

IIRC I only noticed it after fitting an open neck DP, and it is harder to hear with the induction kit roar overlaying it.

I'm confident it's "normal", and it's definately not something I worry about. AndyF didn't comment on it when I had my power FC fitted recently either, and it was quite audible then (particularly at 1.45bar ) due to the back seats being down.

Cheers

Simon
Old 25 March 2005, 07:46 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Still does it, but maybe slightly less since putting new gaskest on.
I have had quite a few come back to me now via PM and on the SIDC site, and say it's normal now.
After double checking the turbo condition this morning and as it look OK I'm pretty happy to live with it.
Old 25 March 2005, 10:00 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I have exactly the same noise on my TD04 since full decatting (didn't change turbo), i was told is was most likely the waste gate vibrating. When Pat mapped the car last week he never mentioned it, so assume its ok, and nothings gone pop in 1000miles
Old 26 March 2005, 11:22 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Have you changed the up-pipe gasket as the noise you describe is very similair to the gasket failing or the studs may just need re-tightening.

When i de-catted my MY01 it made agreat high pitched noise on full boost even with a new gasket (Up-pipe) i re-torqued the studs and after a short drive it sealed itself and was fine.

Zippy
Old 26 March 2005, 08:38 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Have you changed the up-pipe gasket as the noise you describe is very similair to the gasket failing or the studs may just need re-tightening.

When i de-catted my MY01 it made agreat high pitched noise on full boost even with a new gasket (Up-pipe) i re-torqued the studs and after a short drive it sealed itself and was fine.

Zippy
No ididn't change them, but i'm goingto as i'm sure it is blowing very very slightly, i may bin the solid up pipe and get a flexi aswell.
Old 28 March 2005, 09:22 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Mate the solid up-pipe is fine as long as the faces are flat, there was a problem with the original H&S pipes but all should be fine now.

It is extremely important to always replace the up-pipe gaskets due to the high temperatures the pipe has to endure.

I bet as soon as you swap the turbo end gasket the noise goes away, you can re-use your down pipe gasket though.

At least your studs should be easy to remove with the amount of times the pipe and turbo have been off.

Zippy
Old 28 March 2005, 07:16 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

I use exhaust paste on the D/pipe gasket too when being a cheapskate.. but not on up-pipe!
Old 29 March 2005, 08:43 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I do have an H+S uppipe, but it was second hand so have no idea how old it is. I assume the flange wasn't flat on them, i will have to remove it and get it on the miller
Old 29 March 2005, 08:55 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem when i had my uppipe changed during my cars mods.
Noise certainly sounds similar, and it was the uppipe leaking air.
They had to use 3 different pipes before they got one to seal properly and sent the others back.