Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Smoke since full decat.

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2005, 06:12 PM
gareth1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke since full decat.

I recently have had a full decat Magnex exhaust (including down pipe) fitted to my MY99. Every so often the car now seems to produce excessive smoke of a light grey colour even on idle (this is different from the normal cold morning steam).

At first I thought I was just smoking because it was new (maybe protective oil or some thing burning off) but it has been on for about 2000 miles now and it will still do it sometimes. During that time it has also be remapped. Also the exhaust fumes smell a lot stronger and will enter the cabin when reversing. i feel bad for people sat behind me in traffic! Is this normal with a full decat on a subaru? It did not happen with my decatted Celica GT4. Thanks for any answers!
Old 08 March 2005, 07:29 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gareth, I take it your recent work was part of the group buy at TSL? I have noticed after mine was done as part of the same that the zorst burns a different colour and a new smell. I so far have put this down to the newness of the de-cat bedding in and also the fact that the cats are no longer in place so no restriction on the gasses out of the zorst, if your concerned give TSL a ring i,m sure they will put your mind at rest.
I`ve only done about 400 miles since the re-map and de-cat so i`m expecting the newness to last a little wile yet, let us know how you get on.
Old 08 March 2005, 07:51 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Question

Is this occuring when the engine is cold, and also after being sat in traffic for a short while?

If so, could well be just condensation in the exhaust - nothing to worry about.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:39 AM
neonfury
Scooby Regular

2000 miles is more than enough for the sealants to burn off and condensation in the pipe will burn off fast anyway.

The de cat system is causing the change in smell. You may just be noticing the all the stink and crap that comes out because the cats have been removed, it makes a big difference.

Take the car to a garage and get the CO2 rating checked. Then get clued up on the what they did on the remap, it may be running a little rich due to the smoke you mention.

Last edited by neonfury; 09 March 2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old 16 March 2005, 09:48 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Have you done an oil change recently, may be just burning off the excess.

I had a similar problem, caused by some mis judgement on my part. Oil will tend to settle and burn off if too much in the engine and left to idel for a time. If you can smell oil in the cabin then this will be a symptom.

If not then I can't suggest anything that won't cost ya a fortune.

Roo