Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Possible overboosting

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2005, 02:51 AM
scoobsteve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible overboosting

I have a my00 classic, and i've been suffering for what I think is overboosting for a while. I thought it was the maf as I also had rough idling, so I replaced it. This cured the idle problem, and the overboosting for a couple of days.

Tonight though I just had the infamous head through the windsceen cut again!

The car is boosting to 1.2 bar initially, and settling back to 1.1. It is running an "off the shelf" tek 2 ecu. Does anybody know what the boost limit is set to on these?

I'm also wondering about the ecu maybe detecting knock, any ideas what the symptoms of that are?

Cheers
Old 07 March 2005, 05:45 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by scoobsteve
I'm also wondering about the ecu maybe detecting knock, any ideas what the symptoms of that are?

Cheers
Symptoms: Car in the garage with a very big build for a rebuild! You may not know untill it's too late!

Many on here suggest that the best way to watch for any 'knock' is to get a knocklink, as the standard knock detection facility is -apparently- not the greatest and is even reputed to ignore knock above engine speeds of 5k rpm.
Old 07 March 2005, 07:50 PM
scoobsteve
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i'm looking around for a knocklink as we speak. But this problem is occuring at fairly low revs, well below 5k.

I don't really think it would be knock detection, because I know the ecu is pretty pants at finding it. I would just like to know what the ecu does if it does detect it, eg limp home mode?
Old 08 March 2005, 10:16 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

the ecu will pull timing if knock is detected. it will however only pull about 6degree IIRC, and thats if its ok to start with. it does not listen for knock above 5500 (i think) as it thinks its noise !
head through windscreen is fuel cut. i think the only way to correct this is to play about with restrictor size in the boost control hoses. (unless you get the ECU tweaked that is)

Steve
Old 09 March 2005, 07:31 AM
scoobsteve
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply scoobyduck. At the moment the plan is to clean the boost solenoid, and pipework. If this still doen't work, i'm gonna look at the restrictor.

Cheers