Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Sports cat and re-map?

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2005, 12:20 AM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sports cat and re-map?

I was going to get a re-map a while ago but because of the engine problems didn't.

Anyway, I now have a new short motor and have a down pipe and centre section (resonator removed) de-cat. I'll be coming up for the first MOT in November and to be honest could do without the hassle of putting cats back on for the MOT. I want more safe power that will not stress the engine too much as I do largeish miles and need it to last.

Is it worth getting the up pipe removed and having a sports cat with a re-map? Is that going to give decent power gains and be road legal? What are the best sports cats and what would this cost roughly? What safe power should I be able to achieve this way?

Warranty isn't an issue, I'm on 85,000 on my 52 plate WRX. I recently drove an 03 WRX with PPP and that was exactly what I wanted, just right for me. Would this set up I'm thinking about be at least as good?

Would I need to upgrade anything else, brakes, fuel pump etc etc?

Any help would be gratefully received

Cheers!

Mike
Old 26 February 2005, 10:22 AM
jb2000
Scooby Regular

haywood and scott have just released the item you are after

with the tek 3 and the down pipe sport cat you should get good figures
Old 26 February 2005, 01:09 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lots of people make sports car downpipes, not just H&S. I have a de-cat up-pipe and APS sports cat system on my 02WRX. Haven't had an MOT yet, but it is meant to be completely emmissions legal. At time of re-map, I got 284bhp/272lbft at Power Engineering, with very wide spread of torque & power - i.e. noticeably better than a PPP. Existing fuel pump and injectors are OK up to perhaps 300bhp, clutch and gearbox a little more still. I would fit a new intercooler hose as the originals allegedly can split under increased boost.

You'd also get improvements by porting your headers, uprating the TMIC, fitting better inlet hoses etc, but none of these are essential - just nice.

Standard bugeye 4 pots will be IMHO just adequate on normal road driving, but not really up to lots of enthusiastic road driving let alone a track day. I'd recommend uprating the pads, fitting braided hoses and DOT 5.1 fluid - will make a big difference and be decent for road use. If you're intending to "really use" the car regularly or do trackdays, fit bigger brakes, but that = more money.
Old 26 February 2005, 04:52 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear

Now it's down to budgeting, 2 kids under 19 months old mean I need to be a bit tight but the Scoob is such a great family car!