Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Crankshaft oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2005, 05:36 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft oil leak

Noticed this weekend that what I'm assuming is the crankshaft oil seal (just behind the sprocket) is weeping a small amount of oil onto the headers, and although it's only occasional I'd rather deal with it before it develops any further. It's enough that when it happens, I can see small puffs of smoke, and the smell of burning oil is beginning to annoy me.

Anyone know roughly how much work it is to change, any caveats I should know about if I push the job to the garage ie. any belts that should be changed, etc ? Would it be wise to continue running with the problem ?

Old 03 January 2005, 05:59 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Deffo dont continue withit leaking, there is a possibility of loss of oil pressure.

If the cam belt hasnt been changed recently this is a good chance to change it.

Quick rough guide for ya..

Remove cam belt, pull off crank sprocket.
If teh crank sprocket does not come off by hand use a puller to remove it... Chances are that you have been lubricating it enough for it to slide off as usual

Get a 3mm drill bit and drill a hole in the middle of the crank seal making sure you only drill in about 3/4mm deep, then get a self tapping screw and file the end of it down so that it is blunt. The screw must be at least an inch long, the reason for blunting it off is so that it does not cut into the block as you screw it in.

Screw the self tapper in and it will draw out the seal.

When i replace seals (plenty on my cars various builds ) i use a 32mm/long hub socket to drive the new one home. I also use a small smear of silicone sealant on the outer edge to help it slide on and keep it in there when dry.

Rob
Old 03 January 2005, 06:07 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Rob -

Cheers for that - think I might get the garage to do it ! It's a very small leak, barely a couple of drops coming out, would this be sufficient to drop the oil pressure ? Beginning to wonder wether this is linked to another engine problem I've got....
Old 03 January 2005, 06:10 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Lol, 'wont drop press much atm IMHO but i wouldnt fancy my crank seal popping out.

TBH, if you can remove a cam belt mate do it yourself, it really is easier than it sounds.

Rob
Old 03 January 2005, 06:16 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

TBH, if you can remove a cam belt mate do it yourself...
Better ring the garage up tomorrow then....
Old 03 January 2005, 06:31 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

PMSL! fair enough mate

Prob best lol

Rob

one last thing, if you can spare the cash get an uprated oil pump... deffo a wise investment.
Old 03 January 2005, 07:10 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Just been thinking and re-read your post... if you can see the oil by the front pulley it is not likely to be your crank seal, more likely to be your Power steering res leaking down the front.
teh crank seal almost always leaks down the back of the cover and is only visible as a leak out of the bottom of the cam belt cover, none at all out of the front.

Rob
Old 03 January 2005, 08:31 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Rob - Sorry, should of been clearer with my description, it IS leaking out by the bottom of the cam belt cover, none is on the belt or cover itself but it clearly seems to be coming from around the crankshaft area. Crank sprocket seems clean as well, but it's leaking down and across the bottom edge of the block, ending up on the exhaust header if parked at a slight angle.

It's clearly oil as well, the power steering res was changed for a later metal model last year, as well as the pipes being replaced.

Old 03 January 2005, 08:37 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Enough said lol

Rob