Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which way to do this lot? From on top or underneath??

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2004, 05:34 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Which way to do this lot? From on top or underneath??

Getting ready to bolt-on the following:

Gruppe S headers, Helix up pipe, 20g TD turbo + other non-related bits (Walbro etc)

Would anyone say I should remove the engine to a rotating stand to ensure it all goes together properly, or can it all be 'slipped' in with engine in place.
Rather not remove engine as Imprza clutches don't agree with me....

Any thoughts?

Old 10 December 2004, 05:36 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo... up top
Headers, up-pipe.... underneath
Walbro.... from the back seat unless you've got a bulkhead in which case... boot.

Bugger takin' the engine out.... unless you fancy cleaning the engine bay!!
Old 10 December 2004, 06:02 PM
Scooby Regular

I was thinking of the banjo oil fitting, the water hoses etc!
When i had the motor out this summer to get the heads done, it was so easy to 'undress' the engine and flow the cast headers while they were off etc, and get at all the pipes with ease.
Getting the engine back onto the box took 6 attempts, the Halfords alignment tool was machined eccentric by 1mm....I'm good at getting engines out and getting clutches off.
Any others?

Old 10 December 2004, 07:03 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of the banjo oil fitting, the water hoses etc!
All done with your head under the bonnet.

It's all straightforward stuff. If you have a turbo heatshield, remove the bolts (up to 6) with a 10mm spanner.
Undo the two top nuts and bolts holding the downpipe to the turbo, then remove the lower 3 nuts from the downpipe to the turbo (14mm).Remove the oil feed pipe fitting from the top of the turbo (14mm socket) and gently ease away to give clearance to remove turbo (wait 'til you're ready to remove turbo before bending out the way), remove lower water return hose from waterpipe attached to turbo (pliers),remove upper water hose which attaches to waterpipe on turbo (pliers), then remove 3 nuts holding turbo to up-pipe. (14 or 15mm socket and extension). You don't have to take the water pipe off the turbo until the turbo is out.

With turbo out the way, jack up the front of the car and undo the two nuts and bolts holding the up-pipe to the manifold.(14 or 15mm. Hmm.. could be 12mm, but i think it's 14mm)
Remove the 6 nuts (3 each side) from the manifold and then remove both manifold and then up-pipe.
Some people can get the manifold and up-pipe off in a one-er, but i found i had to slacken the engine mount off and jack the engine up. I prefer not to bother, so split the two before removing.

Last edited by AlanG; 10 December 2004 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10 December 2004, 08:21 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!

Hi 911

Just done my headers and up pipe the other day for the nth time, agree with AlanG turbo from the top, headers from underneath but split the manifold from the uppipe first, makes life alot easier! I found that i could get the std up uppipe out from my UK99 without having to jack the engine, it took some patience but it came out ;-)

Where abouts in west mids r u? Birmingham based myself, ure car looked great in the pics u posted, going to be a beast when it's finished, would like to get into some form of competition myself but im never around at the right time because of my job, also have to but a house first doh!

Good Luck with the spanner work

Dan.
Old 11 December 2004, 08:08 AM
Scooby Regular

Thanks to everyone. Having recently done the engine out/manifolds off/flow etc all bolts will be easy! (that will be a first).
Tired of taking boxes out or engine out so trying to work smarter not harder this time!
After all the cost this car needs to be good!

I'm based in Wolverhampton.

Competing in a car need not be too time consuming as there are many one-day sprint and hill climb events from March to October. I've settled into a routine now with the wife (!) Motorsport in the summer + hols and House from Oct to Xmas, Car during week off work (ie in the garage), and the season starts again!
Sure helps when your wife and daughter love motorsport!!