Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY00 downpipe adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2004, 01:26 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY00 downpipe adjustment?

Maybe a real dumb arsed question but....Can anyone advise if the bottom of the downpipe can be adjusted on an MY00 even if attached to the turbo securely? Would there be any movement at the bottom end at all?

Reason i ask is Ive had some recent problems with combinations of back boxes and mid sections which always results in the the mid sections rubbing on the bodywork no mater how much adjustment i do to the mid section at the downpipe end. Both mid sections are to far forward in relation to the hook on the chassis when bolted to the downpipe. Originally i thought it was a new back box i bought but after trying a 2nd one in i think its the downpipe causing this...i did get hit in the rear by van approx 2 years ago which buggered the mid section and back box. Although strange it hasnt showed up before now, I think it moved the downpipe forward /up at the time of the crash and it just wasnt picked up in the repair.

I noticed that there is a bolt on the underside of the downpipe ( near the front mid section flange ) which is in a vertical slot - is there any other bolts at the bottom end of the downpipe that need to be loosened? ( If in fact i can adjust it )

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Rich
Old 09 December 2004, 12:13 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 09 December 2004, 12:22 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Standard downpipe?
Old 09 December 2004, 03:06 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

yep, standard one for MY00.

Cheers
Richard
Old 09 December 2004, 03:27 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

AFAIK, there's no room for adjustment in the join between the downpipe and centre section. There's a lead gasket between the two to allow for movement when the engine is under load, but that's about it. The d/pipe is also a bugger to get off, so maybe any damage caused to it was overlooked when the repairs were carried out.

Out of interest, what sort of backbox and centre section are you using?

kev
Old 10 December 2004, 08:46 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Thanks Kev - thats a bit of an **** as i was hoping maybe the downpipe would have at least 10mm of movement ( front to back ) at the bottom end so this would move the center pipe back towards the rear of the car a bit more.. Problem arises with TSL or OE midsection and a Ninja backbox. I know its not the Ninja as Neil at Scoobyworld has been really helpful and i have tried a second one of those as well ..same problem. The mid section itself just sits to far up towards the front of car with either the TSL or the OE pipe - the center section hanger rubs on the cars metal hanger and squeeks! ( ) + the rubber hanger is all squished up and the vibration comes through the car.

oh well, means i need to buy a new (decat) downpipe
Old 13 December 2004, 06:52 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richardw
oh well, means i need to buy a new (decat) downpipe
Looks like it, as there is no way you should be able to get 10mm of movement from a healthy downpipe.

Kev