Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Performance mods for a MY00

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2004, 04:01 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Performance mods for a MY00

I currently have a MY00 with full decat, TEK2 and STi panel filter but have got so used to the performance I am looking to get more power out of the car. [ Car produced 246BHP / 239lbft in the summer at powerstation - lower than I expected ! ]

As I understand it the gearbox is the weak link and limits the "safe" power output to around 300BHP with similar torque ? [ Is this correct - or does this only apply to earlier models ]

As the car has a TD04 I am assuming that to get to around 300BHP and equivalent torque I will need a different turbo... But I also want the turbo to spool up as quickly as possible... So bearing in mind a safe power output to keep from having to replace the gearbox and a quick spool up - which turbo is best suited ? [ From what I have read I had though of either a VF28 or VF35 - but could be way off the mark ! ] I guess these just bolt on and off you go?

With a new turbo and appropriate remap - would I need other supporting mods i.e. fuel pump / larger intercooler etc... too ?
Old 07 December 2004, 04:53 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Hi

I am going for similar power levels, I have 97 uk model, so I will be using an apexi fc. I have decided to go for the VF34- cheap supply in usa.

I have a sti6 ic already to go on, full decat already fitted. It is recommended that the headers are ported and wrapped, uprated fuel pump and regulator.

I'll be fitting these parts in the new year, then hopefully arrange Andyf to map it

Andy
Old 07 December 2004, 04:56 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that.
I was just looking at www.rallispec.com - and couldnt believe how cheap the VF34 was - $749 !
Old 07 December 2004, 05:29 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_B
Thanks for that.
I was just looking at www.rallispec.com - and couldnt believe how cheap the VF34 was - $749 !
Ive seen them at 699 USD
Old 07 December 2004, 08:27 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Jim, your in the same boat as me, but I`m not sure which way to turn next as I`ve spent enough money on it. I already have STi tmic, uprated fuel pump, samcos.
I was thinking of just a Tek3 but apparently I wont get much of an improvement, dont fancy the cost of changing the turbo - looks like porting the standard headers. I`ve been pondering on this for a while now. Decisions decisions.
Old 08 December 2004, 11:16 AM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

n one
I had also considered just getting my car custom remapped as the TEK2 does seem to tail off the boost quite early on - however as that would cost a reasonable amount it kept me thinking that to really benefit I ought to uprate the turbo too !
Old 08 December 2004, 11:32 AM
ronin_hungary
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jim_B
I currently have a MY00 with full decat, TEK2 and STi panel filter but have got so used to the performance I am looking to get more power out of the car. [ Car produced 246BHP / 239lbft in the summer at powerstation - lower than I expected ! ]

As I understand it the gearbox is the weak link and limits the "safe" power output to around 300BHP with similar torque ? [ Is this correct - or does this only apply to earlier models ]

As the car has a TD04 I am assuming that to get to around 300BHP and equivalent torque I will need a different turbo... But I also want the turbo to spool up as quickly as possible... So bearing in mind a safe power output to keep from having to replace the gearbox and a quick spool up - which turbo is best suited ? [ From what I have read I had though of either a VF28 or VF35 - but could be way off the mark ! ] I guess these just bolt on and off you go?

With a new turbo and appropriate remap - would I need other supporting mods i.e. fuel pump / larger intercooler etc... too ?
Go for an APS upgrade:
Direct Intake
FMIC
and maybe a SR turbo...
+ Of course you need an EcuTeK remap and possibly will be good to go.

A little extra cost might arise as Injectors, fuel rails, fuel pump. That's all and you will be over the required amount, plus you can control your gain and it will be good for your vehicle...