Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ScoobyECU question

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2004, 10:39 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ScoobyECU question

Right, quick Q

I have one of these on order, but was wondering what parameters are changed with the scoobyECU? Is it all the open loop stuff?

As in, I know the Z4 ECU is much better than the one in the MY94 WRX, but what about the closed loop stuff?

Would fitting a Z4 to a 94WRX then adding a ScoobyECU be any more beneficial than adding a ScoobyECU to a 94WRX ECU (assuming I wouldn't switch between OE and ScoobyECU maps)

Thanks

Justin
Old 16 November 2004, 11:00 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Would fitting a Z4 to a 94WRX then adding a ScoobyECU be any more beneficial than adding a ScoobyECU to a 94WRX ECU (assuming I wouldn't switch between OE and ScoobyECU maps)
Wouldn't make any difference as cutting J1 makes the ECU read the external ROM's (Scoobyecu)

Cheers
Old 17 November 2004, 08:52 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by Delboy2
Wouldn't make any difference as cutting J1 makes the ECU read the external ROM's (Scoobyecu)

Cheers
Well quite! but when does it read the External ROMs? all the time? or is it just the look up table for rpm, boost target, TPS, fuel cut, advance and everything else needed for when in open loop?

What I'm getting at is if the ScoobECU is based on a Z4 map (or any map better than MY94) but with changed parameters, do I get the fueling benefit of the Z4 at all times, open or closed loop?
Old 17 November 2004, 05:39 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

IF you put a chip into the MY94 ECU like yours then the car will run exactly the same as if you had put the chip into a Z4 ECU, at ALL times.

There is no point in getting a better ECU like the Z4 if you are going to put a scoobyecu in it.
Old 17 November 2004, 09:33 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As has been said it reads all the map from the scoobyecu once J1 has been cut.. there is no other part of the map elsewhere.. open and closed loop use the map off the scoobyecu.
Old 17 November 2004, 10:22 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The chip not only contains the 'performance' map 'look-up-tables' but the entire running code for the ECU (which is in assember language). The code that the ScoobyECU runs can differ from that on the base board depending on the year of the ECU.

Later ECU's ran better, less buggy, code aswell as better maps. Therefore 'in my case' later code and maps are loaded as the base and then the 'performance maps' are overlaid onto this.

In most cases switching between ECU and ScoobyECU is OK but on the v.early ECU the knock-correction maps were in a different location hence code and maps can get mixed up and it may throw up a CEL.
Old 18 November 2004, 08:55 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Many thanks to all
Old 18 November 2004, 09:43 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for not replying to your pm!

Will check it out.

Paul
Old 18 November 2004, 10:18 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Thanks Paul

<cough>ScoobyECU</cough>