Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STi 08 temporary power loss ?

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2004, 09:11 AM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question STi 08 temporary power loss ?

I had a strange problem with my STi 08 yesterday. Its done 2500 miles, has a PPP and only drinks Shell’s finest Optimax.

I haven’t used it for 2 weeks, so I decided to go for a spin down to Bath.

Obviously I could tell the problem straight away, as I always wait for the engine to be up to temperature before applying any real power. However when I did, I only got what felt like ½ throttle.

I stopped in a lay-by and check to see if indeed I was getting full throttle, which I was. Even through I had full travel on the pedal, the car was well of its normal pace. I travelled one junction up the M4 and parked in another lay-by. I looked under the bonnet and checked a couple of connector in front of the intercooler area. I didn’t disconnect them, just gave them a wiggle. Tried the car and all appeared fine and still is J

I’m now wondering what the problem was. I know people may say all’s well that ends well, but I’m still curious.

I’ve heard that these cars have quite an intelligent ECU and that it “learns” how you dive. As it’s been stuck in a garage for 2 weeks, it might have gone into a coma like an inactive pensioner (no offence meant) J and after a few miles the old pulse came back strong? Either that or it did have a dodgy connection.

Can anyone shed any light or do I waste the time of my local dealer, the excellent T H White in Cirencester?

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited by Robocop; 31 October 2004 at 09:16 AM.
Old 31 October 2004, 06:22 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 31 October 2004, 07:43 PM
fergie_uk
Scooby Regular

I had a similar thing after i had my 10000 service 04 Type UK STI BTW, i think the garage reset the ecu or something cause my beeper for gear change had been reset, anyway for the first few 100 miles or so the car felt a fair bit slower as if it was not reaching full boost, but after a 100 miles of spirited driving all feels back to normal.

Hope that helps?

Fergie