Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Problems 93 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2004, 08:34 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems 93 wrx

Was driving to work and car started to missfire and thought spark plugs need changing , then a minute or to later happened to look at the temp gauge and was in the red , stopped car and water leaking through rad , get towed home and get rad core replaced fill up with water and start car notice white smoke out the back go up and down road come back and car not smoking , think i had got away with it . Noticed car was getting hot again bottom hose on rad cold so thermostat stuck shut causing rad to explode . Stop car wait ten mins and then start to put it in the garage to start to strip and notice lots of white smoke and car spluttering so think HEAD GASKET . There was no knocking from the bootom end and when i went up the road car was fine so hope it is head gasket . Found a mechanic to do it as a foreigner and change the clutch for me while it is all off as i needed to change that and get the synchros on forth done on the gear box . Mechanic let me down kept saying he would come but never showed so put car into to garage and started to strip myself .Disconnected every thing on engine labeling a few things up in about 2 hrs then removed the gearbox off the car in about 4hrs having access to the work shop manual on disk from people on here was a god send .
Rally colin has had one of his contacts near Silverstone work his magic on the gear box in 2.5 hrs changed syncros on 2 ,3 and 4 , fitted new forth gear and new forth gear holder and also noticed a spring on forth gear was MISSING so replaced that for a very resonable price so thanks col.Have bought a new borg and beck clutch kit and will get flywheel skimmed . Spent 4 hrs on sunday to lift engine out and to strip down , heads now off right hand side had gone , am getting both the heads checked and both skimmed if necessary have got new head gaskets and inlet manifold gaskets .

Queation can i re-use the head bolts again and also the rocker cover gaskets if i re-use the gaskets can i use sealent on them if so what sealant also any tips on putting car back together have been told to put gearbox back in first and then the engine makes it easier , have been told to put bearing onto gearbox put fork back on and insert locking shaft with the fork held forward in place with a cable tie then when engine bolted to gear box undo cable tie pull fork back and i should hear it click into place . Any tips welcome so far it has not been too bad at all expected it to be alot worse have got a friend to help me put it back together on monday & tuesday evening he has done a lot on cosworths .

thanks

Mark
Old 27 October 2004, 06:22 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

BTTT

Question can i re-use the rocker cover gaskets if i use sealent on them also any tips on putting car back together have been told to put gearbox back in first and then the engine makes it easier , have been told to put bearing onto gearbox put fork back on and insert locking shaft with the fork held forward in place with a cable tie then when engine bolted to gear box undo cable tie pull fork back and i should hear it click into place . Any tips welcome so far it has not been too bad at all expected it to be alot worse have got a friend to help me put it back together on monday & tuesday evening he has done a lot on cosworths .

thanks

Mark
Old 27 October 2004, 10:42 PM
LOZWRXMY94
Scooby Newbie

your right about the clutch prob, i did one on my last scoob,tricky thing to change but fairly stright forward. not sure about your other q's tho matey.