Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Anyone running a decat/sports cat downpipe and std centre section?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2004, 10:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone running a decat/sports cat downpipe and std centre section?

Hi all,

After a recent trip to get my car serviced, I was left with the distinct impression that getting a decat downpipe -or if I didn't mind paying more- one with a sports cat would be a good idea. I have an MY99 with a H&S backbox (otherwise standard). Anyone running a similar set up? Comments and experiences sought!

Thanks in advance.
Old 24 October 2004, 11:12 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Hi all,

After a recent trip to get my car serviced, I was left with the distinct impression that getting a decat downpipe -or if I didn't mind paying more- one with a sports cat would be a good idea. I have an MY99 with a H&S backbox (otherwise standard). Anyone running a similar set up? Comments and experiences sought!

Thanks in advance.
Hi mate ive got the h+s decat downpipe and centre section,just after the afterburner b/box now, it made loads of difference turbo spools up quicker,better mid range pick up(and bonus of a nice turbo whistle)would recomend to anyone.For most scooby owners its one of their first mods.Worth noting though if you remove both cats its tricky at mot time though if you leave the centre one in i believe they still pass the emissions test.car is a my/oo.
Old 25 October 2004, 12:21 PM
New_scooby_04

Hi Dave, thanks for the input. I was gonna either leave the centre cat on and decat the down pipe or get a sports cat downpipe and remove the centre cat. I'd prefer to have the car remain road legal at all times.

Given that the turbo spools up 500rpm quicker with the decat downpipe, does that mean that it cuts out 500rpm earlier; does it affect the power/torque delivery at the other end of the rev range at all?

Best

Best.
Old 26 October 2004, 07:58 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Hi Dave, thanks for the input. I was gonna either leave the centre cat on and decat the down pipe or get a sports cat downpipe and remove the centre cat. I'd prefer to have the car remain road legal at all times.

Given that the turbo spools up 500rpm quicker with the decat downpipe, does that mean that it cuts out 500rpm earlier; does it affect the power/torque delivery at the other end of the rev range at all?

Best

Best.
I have decatted my MY01 up/down pipes with the centre cat still on-just passed 1st MOT and the emmissions were all really low/well within the limits.
Because the downpipe has no restrictions in it,it doesnt just give better spool up time, it also allows the turbo to hold higher boost further up the rev range.

Gary