Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Transmission oil

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2004, 03:57 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission oil

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether it's best to check the transmission oil on a MY99 after the engines been running for a bit, or from cold. I took a reading from cold and was quite alarmed to find that it was only touching the bottom of the dipstick.

Best.
Old 18 October 2004, 06:30 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the car is absolutly level. I've found the g'box reading to be very level sensitive.
JohnD
Old 19 October 2004, 02:49 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether it's best to check the transmission oil on a MY99 after the engines been running for a bit, or from cold. I took a reading from cold and was quite alarmed to find that it was only touching the bottom of the dipstick.

Best.
As John says make sure you are on flat ground, push dip stick all the way in take out and read, when cold it should be upto the top hole on a MY99, i tend to put a little more in, due to third gear i think not getting covered.
some info on hear a while ago.
The fun is filling it up through the dip stick hole.
Old 19 October 2004, 03:42 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

B&Q do a pipe about 25mm outside diameter. 63p a metre. Fits nicely into the dipstick hole (of a classic) works a treat with a funnel.
Old 19 October 2004, 04:12 PM
New_scooby_04

Eeeeek, my poor Scooby. :-O I got it on flat ground and measured when cold and the fluid is only up ot the bottom hole!!!! Taking it to Xtreme Scoobies for a service on Sat, when it'll be rectified. I'm tempted to go and get some Syntrax in the interim, but am a bit dubious about mixing oils, I don't know what's in there at the mo (new car) would it hurt the car to just leave it to sat and drive up to Xtreme as it is (about 40 miles mostly motorway)? I'm told that even if the fluid only touches the bottom of the dipstick, there is still about 3 litres in there.

A bit concerend that the AA inspection missed this. I can't see any evidence of a leak or excessive sweating! :-) So I can only assume that there is a tiny one, or the AA didn't check.

I'm not going to use it in the meantime, just to be safe.

Best.
Old 19 October 2004, 04:34 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Eeeeek, my poor Scooby. :-O I got it on flat ground and measured when cold and the fluid is only up ot the bottom hole!!!! Taking it to Xtreme Scoobies for a service on Sat, when it'll be rectified. I'm tempted to go and get some Syntrax in the interim, but am a bit dubious about mixing oils, I don't know what's in there at the mo (new car) would it hurt the car to just leave it to sat and drive up to Xtreme as it is (about 40 miles mostly motorway)? I'm told that even if the fluid only touches the bottom of the dipstick, there is still about 3 litres in there.

A bit concerend that the AA inspection missed this. I can't see any evidence of a leak or excessive sweating! :-) So I can only assume that there is a tiny one, or the AA didn't check.

I'm not going to use it in the meantime, just to be safe.

Best.
It will not take much to get it to the top hole, if it's showing on the bottom hole, less than 500 ml. It will have about 3 litres left in the box just take it steady.