Tapping from Header.... Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2004, 09:01 AM
DAP
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping from Header.... Help!!

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and I could really do with some help.

I picked up a STI5 type RA (99 model) last weekend, great car and loads of fun. But I seem to have a problem and I don't know what is it caused by. I am an ex Integra Type-R chap so while I go from my Honda head to my Subaru head I have a gap of knowledge that I need to fill.

Here is the problem, I have been driving the car without any issues untill my mate took it for a spin. He gave it a bit of stick, which to be honest is nothing that the car should not be able to handle. After we came to a stop I noticed a ticking noise..... Well more of a flip flip flip noise come from the engine. From what I can tell it is coming from the right hand side of the engine (as you stand in front of the car) towards the bottom. If you stick your head under the engine you can here is clearly. I also noticed some power loss after the noise started. Does anyone have any ideas what is could be???? Just before anyone asks it does not get louder when you lift off the power. I am aware of a bearing problem on this model but I don't think that is the issue here.

Just to add that the exhaust has been changed back to the full STI system by the last owner after having some kind of performace system. He had all the gaskets changed on the header apart from the one that goes between the right side of the header to the left join point.

Could it be a bad Gasket? Or loss bolt on the header? Please help

Thanks

Daniel
Old 15 October 2004, 03:26 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have answered your own question. Time to improve your Sccoby knowledge(!) and get under the car. Check the bolts/studs from the turbo/dowmpipe and all the rest too. It is 'normal' to shear the lower turbo /downpipe stud, and to use the gaskets again as they are hard and expensive to get quickly, so some short-cut.

Welcome to Impreza's
Old 15 October 2004, 03:45 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

suck eggs alert but are you sure its not the injectors as they are noisy.
I have a ticking noise and Im confident its the purge solenoid, that lives somewhere under the dump valve Im sure and needs to be bypassed.
maybe check that out?
Old 15 October 2004, 05:41 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

all scoobs make a ticking noise from headers cooling down. but not normally when engine running. might be an idea to go to a local meet and get someone else to have a listen.
ken

Last edited by scooby-k; 15 October 2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old 15 October 2004, 11:02 PM
DAP
Scooby Newbie

Hi Chaps,

Had a friend (you all probably know him.... he shall remain nameless for today) come round and have a look and it would seem that most of the centre bolts holding the header on had gone. Just not there anymore...... and most of the other bolts where just finger tight!!!

I am also not going to mention who fit the header, but I am not that impressed to say the least.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys shall be getting some more bolts tomorrow.

Daniel
Old 16 October 2004, 06:56 AM
Scooby Regular

It will go well when everything it tight and sealed, all the gasses will get to the turbo...
Old 16 October 2004, 11:03 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Nuts Daniel, Nuts

M10 x 1.25 pitch, ideally with a flanged 14mm head and self locking

Torque them up to 33lb/ft

I was the 'fiend' who went to his aid (no, you don't all know me) expecting the worst from the telephone conversations we had had and the noise I could hear over the 'phone. Got there and thankfully the noise wasn't as bad as I thought when we started the car up.

Got the car in the air, rolled underneath to have a look...hmm no heatshields, ok, easier job, but not exactly ideal. First port of call, look at where the manifold meets the heads...ahh...2 out of 3 nuts securing the manfiold on each bank and one of those was on the end of the stud All only finger tight, and also discovered that 50% of the cross pipe nut's and bolts were loose

Unfortunately Halfords no longer keep boxes of nuts and bolts on the parts counter (WTFN?) so it's the little packets (useless) or the bike shop...but they don't keep M10 x 1.25, only M10 x 1

So at the moment the manifold is held on by 4 out 6 nuts, all of which need replacing IMO...and I am seriously unimpressed with the company who fitted the manifold back on the car, mucking forons

Daniel is now going to get these replaced...luckly I have not taken my tools out of the boot of my car
Old 16 October 2004, 07:17 PM
Scooby Regular

Noticed how Halfords has gone Max Power?
'In the good ole days' ie about 2 years ago you could buy bundy brake pipe to get through the MoT and brass nuts for exhaust manifolds....

Now its Bikes, 18'' wheels and shinny gearknobs and CD's.

tut tut, 911