Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Equal length headers on WRX MY03

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2004, 10:36 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Equal length headers on WRX MY03

With the new model Jap STi's having these, as well the rally car, I was wondering if anyone here had this fitted, specifically to a WRX 03 PPP, and with what results? Does the car gain an extra 25lb of torque, and are any other adjustments/mods necessary? What are the good/bad points? Even the review of the new UK STi in Autocar says 'the new STi has lost some of its distinct burble sound', which indicates that the manifold headers may have been straightened a bit, (not total equal length headers), coz thats the only thing that would take the burble sound away!
Old 20 September 2004, 10:52 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also heard that the WR1 has even length manifold, but then hearing it, i do doubt it.
TBH, you probably wont have any engine modifications on the latest UK/Euro STi's, the JDM cars have had some more modifications to them to make them breath better, but looking at the torque figures, they are the same as the old STi's, 265ps, 253lbs of torque, look at the JDM cars with equal length headers etc, they have 280ps, 290lbs of torque, thus you notice the difference, more torque than bhp.

Tony
Old 21 September 2004, 09:48 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference on the JDM car is a long way from just being due to equal length headers. It's got the twin scroll turbo for a start, plus the heads are different (now including AVCS on both intake and exhaust cams on the '05 model).

See how the torque peaks and then drops off to keep the power almost completely flat at 280ps all the way to the red line? You can't possiblly tell me that's not deliberate

I'm not aware of any changes to the Euro engine for '05; frankly I wouldn't trust Autocar to know what different cars sound like anyway. Maybe they got confused with the Spec C which was the first car to leave the factory with equal length headers.