Crank shaft oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2004, 08:04 PM
surfer boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crank shaft oil leak

Hi,
I have just had my local scooby mechanic diagnose an oil leak at the crank shaft oil seal. This alone is no major drama - the issue is that Subaru recommend a new cambelt when doing it which adds massively to the cost. Apparantly it's all about the fact that you are releasing the tension from it. To compound this the belt has only done 15k and is 13 months old! Has anyone done this job- I'm reliably told it's a common fault. What did you do? Advice please as I don't want to throw money away without good cause. (I've posted this on SIDC forum with mixed results)
Old 30 August 2004, 09:25 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

TBH it is down to you, it is common practise to change the belt when it is removed.. Not for longevity but more for peace of mind.. You will have another 60k (for example) on the new belt. Also more for the fact that it is a good opportunity to get it changed as it is off.

I would however not change it personally, not after such low mileage.

Food for thought' My cambelt has been on and off 7/8 times after various engine changes recently..

PMSL... so if the oil seal was to go driving out of the garage better change the belt lol

Rob

Rob
Old 31 August 2004, 11:10 PM
surfer boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tweenierob
TBH it is down to you, it is common practise to change the belt when it is removed.. Not for longevity but more for peace of mind.. You will have another 60k (for example) on the new belt. Also more for the fact that it is a good opportunity to get it changed as it is off.

I would however not change it personally, not after such low mileage.

Food for thought' My cambelt has been on and off 7/8 times after various engine changes recently..

PMSL... so if the oil seal was to go driving out of the garage better change the belt lol

Rob

Rob
THanks Rob - the scores 2 all! Sorry for being thick but was does PMSL mean?
Anyone else add their two penneth?
Old 01 September 2004, 09:21 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

My old MY01 had a crankshaft oil seal failure and the dealer said it would need a new cambelt due to oil contamination.What a load of B#llocks, the oil drips down not up, i even used his head mechanic who did it as a foreigner and he said it was a ploy to make more cash from unsuspecting drivers.

He replaced my original belt which had done 25k and no problems where reported at all.

I was charged £50 cash and it took him 1 hour to do, he lifted my rad up out of the way but didnt completely remove it and hey presto job done.

P#ss My Self Lauging (PMSL)

Put the original back on.
Old 01 September 2004, 03:59 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
My old MY01 had a crankshaft oil seal failure and the dealer said it would need a new cambelt due to oil contamination.What a load of B#llocks, the oil drips down not up, i even used his head mechanic who did it as a foreigner and he said it was a ploy to make more cash from unsuspecting drivers.

He replaced my original belt which had done 25k and no problems where reported at all.

I was charged £50 cash and it took him 1 hour to do, he lifted my rad up out of the way but didnt completely remove it and hey presto job done.

P#ss My Self Lauging (PMSL)

Put the original back on.
The only two reasons to change a belt in this situation is because of oil contamination, or for profit. True, oil does drip down, but then meets a rubber thing thrashing around at xxxx RPM which spreads the drips far and wide. Oily belts stretch and there is always a chance of them slipping off when very oily. [Slim I know, but I have seen it happen ].

We would be very unlikely to change the belt unless it showed severe oil contamination.

David API Engines / APi Impreza
Old 01 September 2004, 08:24 PM
surfer boy
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys I'll ask my friendly mechanic what state the belts in - having said that found a new belt on the net for £47 today so if I'm not sure I may just do it anyway as the labour will be a foreigner anyway! (From CAMSKILL - they have a web site, search on google)