Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2004, 03:12 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Gearbox advice needed

Ok, had a std box and a new clutch put in my scooby a couple of months after mine let go by scoobyclinic but unfortunatley my crank went a couple of weeks ago and put paid to my engine, so talked with Kev and after checking the balance have decided to go for the 2.5 with a bigger turbo & injectors.

Now been reading the article in this months Jap preformance mag about the 2.5ltr engine (page 46) and they go on about the car being held back because of the std box not being up to the job and some other internals

They say
Have advised the owner that his std 5-speed WRX gearbox is already over the 320lb safe tuning limit, as its now a massive 385lb ft available from 3500rpm. So its inevitable that a swap to the far toughter new-breed Sti 6-speeder or a helical gear kit for when the 5-speed does finally break
Ok, still being a novice at this, which way should i go, im not one to wragg the engine all over the place, but do like to put my foot down should the opportunity present itself
So where can i get some more info on this 6-speed box, like price, will it fit into a classic, do i wait or what ????

I await ur thoughts on this, as hopefully my scoob will be ready on saturday , then i have the dreaded 1k miles to do at 4000rpm's
Old 26 August 2004, 04:13 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

are lateral performance still doing the warrentied extra strong gearset? they are the way i wish i had gone after blowing 3 g/b's then fitting P1 everything instead!
Old 26 August 2004, 04:20 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Having just gone through the pain of having my gearbox go, let me help. I had been running round for the last couple of years at approx 300 lb/ft on a std. MY94 WRX gearbox with no problems, however, when I upgraded to a FE TD05 and equal length headers I decided on a remap. During the course of mapping, the first time we tried over .5 bar boost, 3rd gear let go. I have now replaced with a JDM STi 6 speed box (with Suretrac ). This box more or less fits straight in to the early cars, but you need to make sure that you get the gear shift linkage, propshaft and rear diff to match. APIengines sold me a box, prop and linkage for £1800 + VAT and I got a diff for about £200 (Grade A). Stock seems to sell pretty fast so you may need to order it and wait.

Few things to bear in mind:
1. If you get the JDM 6 speed (which has 6 close ratios as opposed to the UK one which has 4 close and a longer 5th and 6th) you need a 3.9 diff. These were fitted to Impreza Sports and had no LSD, so you need to get either a JDM 3.9 diff or fit a LSD into the Sport diff case.
2. If you have a std. top mount intercooler you may suffer from greater heatsink as there is little room around the gearbox which restricts the airflow.
3. Get a gearbox either complete with its mount, or source a Group N gearbox mount, as because of the limited room in the tunnel, you want to stop the box moving much.
4. You may need to get the propshaft shortened (60mm has been mentioned)

I also know someone with a complete P1 drivetrain for sale (gearbox, prop, diff) if you would prefer a cheaper option, £800 for the lot.