Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

JUST DE-CATED - SOME QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2004, 08:14 AM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb JUST DE-CATED - SOME QUESTIONS

I have been gradually replacing the standard exhaust on my MY 98 UK turbo. Starting at the back 9 months ago, I went for an afterburner backbox, then last week, I got the afterburner de-cat centre section. Then at the weekend there, I got an afterburner de-cat front section (downpipe.)

Firstly, the guy that fitted it did not put the heat shield back over the turbo - does this matter? Looking at the new exhaust, I do not think this would fit anyway.

Secondly, I notice that the whistle from the turbo is far more noticeable. It can now be heard about 2k compared with 3k before and it is a much louder whistle - is this normal?

Finally, I have to say - what a f&cking difference. Who ever invented catalytic convertors - they should be shot!!! I can see the noise annoying me in time though!!!
Old 23 August 2004, 09:05 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heatshield can be made to fit using a junior hacksaw. Basically trim all the bottom off leaving just the turbo cover and the 4 mounting holes around it.

To drop the whistle and hiss noise level, wrap the downpipe in heat-wrap from cooltek or from www.ThinkAuto.co.uk (cheaper). You will need 10M for the downpipe. If you want to do the centre section then another 10M will be required.
This also stops the tinnie rattle noise at 2,000rpm that you can get when the pipes are cold.
Old 23 August 2004, 09:42 AM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, if the noise is not an issue, then is there any benefit (or requirement) in having the heat shield fitted?
Old 23 August 2004, 11:16 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

By re-fitting the heat shield (or fitting a turbo blanket) and wrapping the downpipe you will reduce the amount of heat under the bonnet, which is a good thing.

Dave.