WRX UK 52 reg, Advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2004, 11:08 PM
pabxxv
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX UK 52 reg, Advice needed please

HI, Can anyone advise please.
I have had a 5dr UK WRX from new and am looking to gain a bit of power.
I have just bought a Prodrive Performance Kit second hand, which is short of an air filter. Which filter should I go for? I have heard that some of the oil based ones cause problems and that I should go for an STi one?
I have at present got a nearly new Sti rear box and an aftermarket mid section on....can i leave the mid section fitted? (Hayward and Scot i think??)

I've also seen that sometimes the ECU needs to be reset...is this done at a dealer or is it somthing I can do?
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks Paul B
Old 23 August 2004, 11:11 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pabxxv
HI, Can anyone advise please.
I have had a 5dr UK WRX from new and am looking to gain a bit of power.
I have just bought a Prodrive Performance Kit second hand, which is short of an air filter. Which filter should I go for? I have heard that some of the oil based ones cause problems and that I should go for an STi one?
I have at present got a nearly new Sti rear box and an aftermarket mid section on....can i leave the mid section fitted? (Hayward and Scot i think??)

I've also seen that sometimes the ECU needs to be reset...is this done at a dealer or is it somthing I can do?
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks Paul B
It seem that the STi filter is the one to go for,you shouldnt have any problems leaving the centre section on.Im presuming that youve got the prodrive upgraded ecu also-you should be able to just plug it in and play if its like for like,if there isnt a CEL on then theres no need for a reset-if there is a CEL,start the car and turn it off at least 5 times and the CEL will hopfully clear,if not, then you need a SECS monitor/delta dash/select or go to a dealer to reset it.
Also IIRC you will also need to drill out the restrictor to the boost solenoid for the PPP,not sure how much though-best to do a search on that one.

easy
Old 23 August 2004, 08:18 PM
pabxxv
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by easyrider
It seem that the STi filter is the one to go for,you shouldnt have any problems leaving the centre section on.Im presuming that youve got the prodrive upgraded ecu also-you should be able to just plug it in and play if its like for like,if there isnt a CEL on then theres no need for a reset-if there is a CEL,start the car and turn it off at least 5 times and the CEL will hopfully clear,if not, then you need a SECS monitor/delta dash/select or go to a dealer to reset it.
Also IIRC you will also need to drill out the restrictor to the boost solenoid for the PPP,not sure how much though-best to do a search on that one.

easy
Thanks very much for the reply
Old 23 August 2004, 11:31 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

if warranty is no problem, I think the best thing you can go for is

de cat downpipe
de cat centre + back box of your choice (more noice than any thing )
sti filter
ecu tek

I also have a set of Equal length header and the honest difference is 5 th gear now feels like 4th used to ( im for ever going down the motor way in 4th by mistake )