TEK 3 without decat downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2004, 10:35 AM
SWPT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TEK 3 without decat downpipe

Anybody get this setup?

Am seriously considering a remap on my UK MY99 which has a magnex decat centre section and back box, but don't really want the MOT hassle of a complete decat.

Just wondering if anyone has gone down this route and whether they would recommend it (presume I'd still be looking at about 250bhp?)

Cheers,

Si
Old 17 August 2004, 12:49 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SWPT
Anybody get this setup?

Am seriously considering a remap on my UK MY99 which has a magnex decat centre section and back box, but don't really want the MOT hassle of a complete decat.

Just wondering if anyone has gone down this route and whether they would recommend it (presume I'd still be looking at about 250bhp?)

Cheers,

Si
you could always go for a sports cat downpipe like the thunder cat by TSL - I ve had no problems with it
Old 17 August 2004, 01:00 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or just refit the centre cat for mot
Old 17 August 2004, 01:52 PM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

Mine just sailed through an MOT with decat downpipe and standard mid-section. "Nowhere near the limit" the man said. MY00.
Old 17 August 2004, 02:09 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Many people have gone down the same route as you & have been very happy with the improved performance gains.......& smotthness of the map
Old 17 August 2004, 05:29 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pat Herborn came up and did exactly that job on my 2001 STi Version 7 sales car, just last week.

He reckons we are showing circa 245 horsepower at the rear wheels and the car is much more responsive, is definitely quicker and l am well pleased. Max boost is 1.38 bar.

For my own car l would go with a full decat etc and find a helpful MOT tester, but you want to stay legal then I can recommend it.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
Old 21 August 2004, 03:18 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Anybody get this setup?

Cheers,

Si

Recently had my MY00 wagon mapped by Pat @ Xtreme, decat centre + backbox + K&N. Excellent Result @ 1.1bar, dramatically improved the car, would thoroughly recommend.
Regarding BHP, against some recommendations I had the car rolling road checked @ Engine Advantages and the output was not what I had hoped for, which although the car was much quicker and smoother than before, this made less happy with the output. Consequently the car has now had a decat downpipe and Sti5 Intercooler, plus another mapping session with Pat. now @ 1.2 bar, quicker spool up and loads more of the same. Have not had it rolling roaded, due to the above i probably won't this time. slight increase in turbo noise, but so much better!
Both where good, but i'd go for the dp and find a friendly MOT station.
Old 21 August 2004, 03:56 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

YellowVanMan,

What figures did you get on your r/r session. I have a decat MY00 with TEK2 and had that on a r/r - was also disappointed with the results. Had wondered if a TEK3 would give me significantly more power as the TEK2 seems to tail boost off fairly early.
Old 21 August 2004, 06:28 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile

Anybody get this setup?

Cheers,

Si
SWPT ,take your car to Prosport in stockport, Manchester then you will sail through the mot with a full Decat system
Old 21 August 2004, 07:59 PM
SWPT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the replies fellas

bighead - already do get the car serviced & MOT'd there (may be worth editing now?)

Still undecided about which route to go down - does anyone know what sort of differences there will be after a remap between:

1. leaving the current downpipe on
2. going full decat
3. fitting a sports cat (which is better - downpipe or centre section sports cat?)

Not too bothered about actual BHP - driveability obviously more important!

Decisions decisions
Old 22 August 2004, 09:56 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Road Legal or Not? Answer that it will help with the other questions
Old 22 August 2004, 10:32 AM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Jim B

With the centre decat, bb + filter 241 BHP, rolling road readings vary greatly some read high, some low, etc. So for comparison my pals MY00 with full decat, P1 intercooler, running 1.2 bar via dawes device recorded 248 BHP on the same rolling road.
Don't know the output since full decat & 1.2bar map, but I appear to have much more power throughout the rev range than my pal (not that we've raced you'll understand) and it pulls hard all through to the rev limiter!

SWPT

For driveability the decat downpipe is much better, the turbo spools up 500 rpm earlier and it allows the mapper dial in more boost, therefore more torque/power. Much smoother delivery also.
Old 22 August 2004, 11:00 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I have a MY03 WRX, with the TSL fitted Thundercat Downpipe, and although i cannot quote dyno figures, i really do not have any problems with how the car drives at all. It pulls hard all the way to the red line and would more if didnt keep hitting the rev limiter! LOL.
This was my personal choice for remaining road legal. The last thing i want is a Police pull over and having illegal emissions results, add to that MOT like you say. For me it aint worth a full decat.
Old 22 August 2004, 05:22 PM
SWPT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by XtremeScoobies
Road Legal or Not? Answer that it will help with the other questions
Haven't decided yet - partly depends on just how big the difference is.

How does 'road legal using sports cat' compare to full decat?

Si
Old 23 August 2004, 01:43 AM
dij
Scooby Regular

Just wondering when youre having the mapping done,as Im having a similar dilemma with a my99 standard apart from a P1 exhaust (nothing special I spose).
I dont have aproblem with a friendly mot but dont realy want to mess around with the DP and heatshield etc.

My tech3 remap is due on the 2nd oct wit BRD, so if you have yours before that I would be very interested in the results with/out the decat.
If not I will let you know how mine went with the cat in place.

Branco at BRD has explained that a decat will help make the most of the remap (obviously),but I would like to acheive more drivability/power without the noise and extra hassle of fitting/purchasing/insuring of the down pipe ,and limiting the places that will pass mot.

If a P1/sti can make 280bhp with a cat in place then the my99 turbo 'should' be able to make 240 (ish) with a cat still inplace (I hope).
In your case it should be better with the centre and rear sections being improved.

BTW,who/where are you having it done?
Old 23 August 2004, 03:06 PM
SWPT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by dij
Just wondering when youre having the mapping done,as Im having a similar dilemma with a my99 standard apart from a P1 exhaust (nothing special I spose).
I dont have aproblem with a friendly mot but dont realy want to mess around with the DP and heatshield etc.

My tech3 remap is due on the 2nd oct wit BRD, so if you have yours before that I would be very interested in the results with/out the decat.
If not I will let you know how mine went with the cat in place.

Branco at BRD has explained that a decat will help make the most of the remap (obviously),but I would like to acheive more drivability/power without the noise and extra hassle of fitting/purchasing/insuring of the down pipe ,and limiting the places that will pass mot.

If a P1/sti can make 280bhp with a cat in place then the my99 turbo 'should' be able to make 240 (ish) with a cat still inplace (I hope).
In your case it should be better with the centre and rear sections being improved.

BTW,who/where are you having it done?
Hi dij

Have not got a date set yet so it looks like yours will be done before mine - still need to fit my knocklink and sort out boost gauge and uprated turbo hoses so reckon it'll be a few months before I get round to it.

Was thinking about going with BRD myself but might hang on until another group buy rears its head.

Have you still got your centre cat on? If so then I'd definitely recommend removing it as you'll still have no trouble with emissions and I felt a definite improvement with mine. (My resonated Magnex centre section cost about £100, was very easy to fit and isn't too loud!)

Will be interested to hear how the remap goes,

Cheers

Si
Old 23 August 2004, 11:15 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

The P1/sti centre section is a free flowing cat so it isnt as restrictive as the standard uk cats,so Im hoping it will be better than a standard exhaust.

I will let you know the result of the remap ASAP.
Old 23 August 2004, 11:37 PM
Andy Hamp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
I have a MY03 WRX, with the TSL fitted Thundercat Downpipe, and although i cannot quote dyno figures, i really do not have any problems with how the car drives at all. It pulls hard all the way to the red line and would more if didnt keep hitting the rev limiter! LOL.
This was my personal choice for remaining road legal. The last thing i want is a Police pull over and having illegal emissions results, add to that MOT like you say. For me it aint worth a full decat.
Just FYI ... My MY01 full turbo back decat ScoobySport system is an easy pass for MOT. The manifold cat on the MY01 on, is sufficient..