Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exhaust Downpipe Sensor on my JDM MY93 WRX ??

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2004, 11:48 PM
CivicD
Scooby Regular

Location: On the other end of a Mobile Phone with GPRS...Thanks to Mr British Telecom..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Downpipe Sensor on my JDM MY93 WRX ??

After finding that my Downpipe on my MY93 Import WRX had more holes than a Tetly teabag I managed to get one tonight from a chap in Rugby. The problem I am now faced with is the sensor that is bolted into the downpipe, just below the cat area.
I assume this is the Lambda Sensor and think that this has failed as well with bad running and terrible fuel consumption below boost.

Can someone please tell me what this is exackly and where is the cheapest place to get one of these. Looking at the plug that is attached I can only see 2 pins.

Again I am assuming this is a 3 wire Lambda with the 3rd wired earthed through the DP.

I am totally new to Scoobies with this being my first and feel totally stupid for asking these questions.

SomeOne please help and advise as I am totally lost at the moment.

Regards & Thanks

Chris
Old 17 August 2004, 10:47 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sensor at the bottom of the old downpipe is a cat on fire or cat working sensor.
it doesn't effect the running of the engine.

The lambda on the 93 is in the headers, so in the exhaust system before the turbo rather than after it in the downpipe. From about 96 or 95 onwards it is in the downpipe but right at the top.
If you new downpipe doesn't have the cat not working sensor hole then just removbe the sensor from the old down pipe and plug it in but not fit it into the downpipe and cable tie it up somewhere.
If the new downpipe is off a newer car and therefore has the lambda hole at the top you need to block it off. Although I have an old 93 downpipe with the hole for the cat not working sensor and no lambda hole in my garage if you have a newer one and wanted to swap for conveinience? depending on location.

MPG is not the scoobies strong point so expect somewhere between 24 to 28mpg if you are nice to it.. I have got 32mpg at a gentle 70mph on the motorway but usually it is averaging around 26mpg.. down to about 15mpg if I get enfusiastic for a tank.
Old 17 August 2004, 11:48 AM
CivicD
Scooby Regular

Location: On the other end of a Mobile Phone with GPRS...Thanks to Mr British Telecom..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mate,

The downpipes are identicle, but I can't get the old one out cos it looks like it's been in there from the MY.

Is this a Subaru only part or is there a cheaper alternative I can use.

Thanks for your help mate BTW..

Regards

Chris
Old 17 August 2004, 11:53 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well if you can find a bolt the right size to block off the hole in the new downpipe then I believe the old sensor is either earth out when there is a problem or unearth when there is a problem. Hence two wires.. so you can try with them connected together or not connected together. It will throw a CEL when wrong but don;t think it will effect the running on the car.. you just don't want the CEL on the dash on all the time.

I think it is a subaru only item.

You could try ringing howard at www.hdcsubaru.com, just make sure you get a cat not working sensor rather than a lambda as the latter will not fit the hole or the loom etc..