De-cat or not De-cat

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2004, 10:10 PM
Flingstam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question De-cat or not De-cat

Hey guys,

My (personal import) car has arrived from Japan, and I paid loads of money to get it through the SVA test, etc. As part of this process, they've fitted a catalytic converter. On first driving the car, it feels really restricted, as if the exhaust is full of cotton wool. Of course, this may be just down to forgetting what it's like after not driving it for 3 months, and it probably didn't help that the car I drove down to pick it up was a lot more torquey.

So, back to cats. Can someone tell me what the legal restictions are about their requirement on personal imports? Also, are so-called "sport cats" any good?

Oh yeah, my car is a 1999 Toyota Starlet Glanza V (with turbo and LSD). I drove it in Japan for 18 months, so I could import it tax free. Nice. Paid lots of money so far, though. Not so nice.

Cheers,

Neil
Old 17 August 2004, 02:29 AM
screwdriver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I whipped out two cats from the centre section and back box of my Legacy GT and the emissions still passed the MOT...

Chances are any woolly performance will be down to low octane fuel and ECU settings. If in doubt, whip 'em out.

Screwd.