Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oil change @ 5k, change filter?

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2004, 09:57 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change @ 5k, change filter?

My 03sti has 10k service intervals, in fact it's just had its first.
When I carry out an intermediate oil change myself @ 5k intervals do I need to replace the oil filter?
Surely by leaving the filter in place I wouldnt need to crank the engine over to get oil pressure and also the filter would already be primed as per a normal start-up.
And surely the filter is designed to last for 10k?

So, change the filter or leave it on after 5k?

Thanks for the advice
Dipster
Old 24 July 2004, 10:25 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

To be honest for all the money the filter is (£4 or something) it is worth just changing it anyway...i always do anyway. You are spending £30-£40 on oil so whats another £5??

IMHO of course
Stuart
Old 24 July 2004, 10:46 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by coulty
To be honest for all the money the filter is (£4 or something) it is worth just changing it anyway...i always do anyway. You are spending £30-£40 on oil so whats another £5??

IMHO of course
Stuart
I've changed them in the past just like yourself, but I'm questioning my thinking now.
If it's perfectly serviceable and designed to run for 10k/12k miles with one oil change, why change it for the sake of it after half it's expected life. It would make the job quicker and the filter is already primed and ready to go.

Dipster
Old 25 July 2004, 01:05 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

erm....... you should definately change the filter at the same time as the oil......... common sense.................

All the other stuff you mention is theoretical irrelevance

It takes about 10 mins to change the oil and oil filter!!

Last edited by Fangoria; 25 July 2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 25 July 2004, 01:57 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Fair enough.
Just questioning usual practice.
After the posts regarding oil starvation and bearing failure after oil changes I just thought that by leaving the old filter in place and ready primed I might reduce the risk of this. Only during a 5k oil change you understand.

Thanks for the comments
Dipster
Old 25 July 2004, 05:06 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of the stuff is overblown............. and over the top about oil starvation, etc.... but I guess for some extremely risk averse people better to be safer than sorry for the costs potentially involved with a blown engine.........

Change the filter, put about 4.5-4.7 litres of oil in.......... put on engine to oil light goes out - leave for a few mins ater first fill - check the levl - if it needs a bit more put a bit more in - I usually fill between half and max on the line......i.e. not up to max and never over max - about 4.6-4.7 litres takes it to between half and max............ 4.8litres would be max/just over

4.5 litres is about minimum amount............

Owned lots of performance cars - never bothered about all the theoretical stuff - but in these cars its common sense to change oil and filter regularly

I think 10k service on an sti is not often enough - especially for the crap oil that Subaru UK uses............then again I owned an Audi Turbo (company car) and the services on that were every 19k miles!!!!

Change the oil/filter on my car every 3k miles......... but I do use a lot of oil as well between services - I go through maybe half a litre every 1k miles.........(uprated pistons/rods, etc, different clearances)
Old 25 July 2004, 09:06 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

its the filter that does the hard work (filtering, obviously!!) so would actually make more sense to change the filter more regular than the oil if that was your worry, if you aren't changing your filter might as well leave the oil in.....................to be honest oil and oil filter every 5K is what we would normally recomend (and good quality oil too!!0

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 26 July 2004, 09:39 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I'll stick to my intermediate 5k oil and filter then, my filter saving idea is a no go.

Thanks for the opinions.

Dipster