Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

V9 STI EJ20 Block into MY93 WRX - Anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2004, 07:24 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V9 STI EJ20 Block into MY93 WRX - Anyone done this?

Hello All

My MY93 WRX decided to go very rattly/Knocky a few weeks ago and is now currently at API with David for a rebuild. (Sounded like a cracked piston... Maybe)

Current mods, HKS FMIC, HKS Air intake, Full 3" decat, HKS FCD, VF34 turbo (new), Boost Gauge, Dawes @1.1 Bar. Z4 ECU, Uprated Fuel Pump.

What I have done is purchased a short block (pistons & crank installed) from a new V9 STI which has only covered delivery mileage.

The heads etc from my engine are going to be overhauled, cleaned and lap in valves etc and fitted onto this block.

One question I have is that the pistons on the new block are very flat compared to my old block which would of had a bowl in them. I haven't seen one of my pistons just been advised this is the case.

We are going to be fitting steel STI head gaskets.

Does anyone out there know how this will effect the compression ratio?

The only mod that has to be done as I know is you have to block of one off the breather pipes coming from engine as this gets in the way when fitting manifold/ancillaries back on.

David at API said it should all be ok so I am fully confident that it will be, just wondering what the end compression ratio will be and if it will affect anything (tuning) in the future.

Obviously the bottom end will be much stronger than my existing WRX block?

My thinking of going STI bottom end is it will allow me to tune more than my old block. I.E More boost safely, obviously with correct fueling (injectors,FPR and ECU upgrade, maybe headers to keep EGT down). Only thing David said to take into consideration would be the advance curve, due to maybe a slightly higher compression ratio.

Anyone done what I am having done above??

Cheers

Rob

P.S From the first phone call to David @ API I must say I was impressed with service and on visiting premises and having a look at engines curently being rebuilt filled me with plenty of confidence in them. And best quote by far.. And only 45 miles away!! Can't wait to get car back on road, missing it badly allready... Driving my big work van for a while now

Last edited by Trebor69; 24 June 2004 at 07:30 AM.
Old 24 June 2004, 08:20 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

David is spot on mate, if he says it will work, then trust him.

STIV9 block is fine.

It will be stronger than your current block, but have you had a custom remap to take into account your current setup or not? I notice you have a Z4 ECU and a Dawes device.... Which isnt the best way to go about it.

Cheers
Jon
Old 24 June 2004, 11:11 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Believe it or not, this our first one of these [ after over 450 rebuilds done to now ] and we shall be very cautious with dimensions as there is a reputation to protect here. I am certain that it will be Ok but we'll double check to be sure.

The fact that ' so & so has done it and it was fine ' doesn't compute at API, we'll figure it out for ourselves, if and how it works. Then, we might tell someone or we might not !

Robert, thanks for the plug and the vote of confidence. We'll get you rolling [ faster hopefully ] as soon as possible, enjoy Canada.

David API
Old 24 June 2004, 11:34 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Hello

CustomScoobyIOM, I was running with a Uni-chip mapped at PS with the Z4 ECU and car had never skipped a beat during the 10 months I've had it. My HKS EVC4 gave up 4 months ago, wouldn't control boost, took ages to get to max boost. Hence the Dawes device for now.

I will run the car without uni-chip once engine is rebuilt and run it in with very low boost .5 bar prolly. Once it has been run in I shall raise boost back to 1.1 bar, refit Uni-Chip and get it mapped again, this time with optimax and Octane booster just as an extra safety measure, was just using optimax before.. My MAF failed 4 weeks ago, Wondering if that had anything to do with this engine failure...... Abliet was fine when parked up, just run like a dog when started next morning....

After listening through stethescope with David sounded like a cracked piston, obviously the truth will be known once the engine is removed for rebuild.

Also will be fitting a Knocklink and AFR meter when I get it back to keep and eye on things...

Must say looking forward to having a 'new' engine in my pride and joy...

One day may look at Proper ECU upgrade with 440/550 injectors and a Electronic boost controller with ability to map boost to rpm, Say 1.4 midrange 1.2 over 6K RPM... We'll see how deep my pockets are... Am single at mo so prolly the time to do such things without getting nagged Prolly do EBC in time for 2K running in mileage..

DavidAPI, Glad I've given you a new project , Glad its with you to have it done , Will enjoy Canada cheers..... Expect a phone call when I'm back.. If it is a cracked piston, is this normally caused by detonation... or ????

Cheers
Rob