Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

DCCD transmissions - are they as strong?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2004, 11:01 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DCCD transmissions - are they as strong?

I'm currently adding a few mods to my type r to up the power a bit. One of the reasons I doing this is to make the most of it at 1/4 mile days.

It has the DCCD transmission fitted and I was wondering with the added complexity of the setup will it be as strong as a standard sti's? Also, what settings get the best traction of the line?

All advice appreciated.
Old 24 June 2004, 06:55 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car is a classic shape, a friend had an RA Sti v3 with dccd.He hill climbed the car hard, and the stock box broke 3rd gear with 300 bhp.
He fitted a Possum bourne gearset, same dccd, and raised the engine to 349 bhp and 310 lbft (I think) or more torque. Box never missed a beat.
As to settings, you need to experiment, but with so much traction on the start such as Santa Pod you may want to 'allow' a little wheelspin to relieve the trans of the violent start shock, so saving the box (maybe).
Hope this helps a little,
Old 24 June 2004, 04:34 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

cheers 911. It is a classic, a sti v5 if that makes any difference.

As for your mate's problem with 3rd, am I right in thinking it's the same gearset in the dccd transmission as the normal sti and it's the diff's that are different?

As I'm based in Glasgow it's going to see most of it's action at Crail where the traction is pretty poor to be honest. Even if I find an optimal setting it'll still probably spin like mad.
Old 24 June 2004, 05:37 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rear diff is usually a tougher 180 version as fitted to the new cars.

the dccd is the centre diff and should be more than strong enough for most purposes.

Bear in mind it was supplied for people ding group N rallying so should be hardy enough for those purposes.

Ideally for take off off the line you want 1/2 turn of wheelspin on all four wheels followed by gripping. For this lock the diff then once moving and beyond the speed at which the wheels will slip open up the diff fully as this distributes greater torque to the rear where more of the weight will be.

Not sure I fully understood the reason for doing this, but johnfelstead and simon de banke agreed on it once so I went along with it.
Old 24 June 2004, 06:04 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! I would love to have the skill to twiddle the wheel on a full bore launch!
Agree that wheel SLIP is desireable, not spin, very hard to get that just right, but when it does hook-up, the take off is pretty impressive and you can pull 1G on takeoff even on road tyres.
Old 25 June 2004, 07:59 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice guys.

I'm not sure how much power it's going to have to deal with yet, as with most people the mods list just keeps on growing. I've seen a few gearboxes go on the line and didn't fancy it happening to me.

Having said that the clutch is an unknown as I've no idea whats fitted, so that could be the weak link at the moment. Time will tell.

As for the launch technique, sounds do-able. Have you tried it for yourself Adam?