Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Sorry - another exhaust/decat question

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2004, 06:55 PM
dwk*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Sorry - another exhaust/decat question

I know this has been done to death, but I can't find the info I need on a search, so am hoping some of you dudes who change your exhausts almost as ofter as your socks can help. :wink:

I have just bought a MY00 wagon which I want to get some more poke out of. I am planning on a STI panel filter, full decat and TEK 3.

This is my third scoob, my last one was a PPP'd MY99, I really liked the prodrive exhaust and don't really want anything louder than this. I had a scoobysport back box on my last car before PPP and that was to loud for me.

What I would like to know is if it's possible to have a full decat that's not any louder than the PPP on a MY99/00.
I Have seen on other threads that the magnex is supposed to be quite quiet, also H&S can make you an exhaust to your spec.

I have emailed H&S for a price on this type of exhaust, but haven't had a reply yet, but I'm guessing it's going to be quite a bit more expensive than the magnex from the scoobyshop at £400. has anyone seen/heard both, if so is the H&S worth the extra splash.

Any advice or comments would be great

Cheers
Old 23 June 2004, 07:05 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

I have a wagon with a H+S D/P and Magnex resonated centre and B/B, it is really fairly quiet, my car is a family car so needs to be pretty stealthy, still sounds good when ragging it tho'
I really rate the Magnex quality, fit is superb and I would say at least equal quality of anything out there of comparable cost that I have seen (H+S included).
Old 23 June 2004, 07:27 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

I have exactly the same exhaust as Glen above on my MY00 and it measured 89db at 4500 RPM. Pretty quiet in the cabin.
Old 23 June 2004, 07:42 PM
dwk*
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys

What's resonated centre?
Old 23 June 2004, 08:07 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Believe from what I read on here that wagons are regarded as being generally more likely to transmit whatever noise they produce into the cabin. If it's any help, my MY00 ( saloon ), has the mods you are considering, with the exception that the centre cat remains. I used the Janspeed/Scoobysport uppipe/downpipe, which are lagged and an sti b/box...I also ported the standard exhaust manifold, also said to quieten the noise. I would say that mine, if anything, is quieter than standard...certainly no noisier.....be surprised if a well lagged centre cat replacement pipe would alter this significantly. Hope this helps.
Old 23 June 2004, 08:51 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dwk*

What's resonated centre?
It's a silencer box in the centre pipe, still straight thro' but with a perforated core and silencer packing wrapped round it, costs about £110 i think, but worth it to take the edge off the sound
Old 23 June 2004, 09:02 PM
dwk*
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers glen4 never knew there were 2 different types, I will have to get a system priced with that then.
Old 24 June 2004, 07:00 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

dwk when did you e-mail us for a price ?? as all the e-mails are ansewered at least once a day.

Ian
Old 24 June 2004, 09:37 AM
dwk*
Scooby Regular

Hi Ian

I emailed H&S yesterday at midday, I don't have a copy of the email as I used my hotmail account. I will send you another one if you like.

dwk