Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2004, 01:23 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT: Smoke out of exhaust

I have a problem!!!

My car is MY98 Uk turbo

I changed my injectors recently from 380cc to 480cc in preparation for remap. Since then, car was idling pretty bad, and as I realised MOT is due before remap, I thought I'd put the 380cc back on.

Changed them back today, and go to start the car. Still idling bad, and what's now really bad is that fuel is leaking out of the exhaust joints, and smoke coming out of the back!!!

I've turned the fuel pressure right down to 2 bar (with vacuum on). Cleaned the exhaust again, checked for air leaks, and started again, just to see the same result! What's going on? Has having 480cc without remap killed the spark plugs, causing the car to send so much unburnt fuel through? Or is it a matter of ECU needing a little time to readjust? Don't want to risk starting again before I get a good feedback from you people first.

Urgent help/comments please!!!
Old 17 June 2004, 01:51 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possibly the plugs are fouled, also check for poor fitting of plug leads etc leading to misfire.
Old 17 June 2004, 02:11 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul

When you say fouled, do you mean they maybe damaged by the excessive fuel, and need replacing?

I just checked the leads, and they are on fine
Old 17 June 2004, 03:53 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

fouled as in got wet, then misfired, then they just build up with carbon.

check that all cylinders are firing properly by unplugging one injector connector at a time. If the cylinder is running properly it should make a significant change to the running of the engine. If it's a bit suspect there will be minimal change.

I would say whip the plugs out, clean them all with light use of steel wire brush (not brass as it will deposit metal on insulator) and blast with carb cleaner, blow dry with air if possible, else just blow out excess fluid and wait to dry.

If you have new plugs, try those though.

I would also be sure you have all the required seals on the injectors, as yo may have an injector leaking into the cylinder past the orings. With enough fuel it will wash oil off the bore and give you blueish smoke too.

Paul
Old 17 June 2004, 04:56 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Thanks Paul. I'll have a go at both. Started raining just, so as soon as it as stops
I have a set of Denso Iridium tough plugs, so i'll throw them in to see if it makes any difference.

But could the larger injectors without mapping cause this to happen so quickly? The injectors were changed only over the weekend, and put back to standard 380cc yesterday. If so, it really doesn't take much then

I'm having the remap done by Andy F hopefully on Monday after next. is it a good idea to leave the 380cc in until the last minute?
Old 17 June 2004, 06:24 PM
gyfto1
Scooby Regular

Question

could be fuel seeping past injector if one of the seals has become damaged
would have a look at that ,as these are what have been changed
that will put excess fuel in one of the bores
Old 17 June 2004, 09:35 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Just checked the injector seals. One of them has indeed been damaged. I will buy replacement at halfords tomorrow.

The engine is running OK now, though, which is a relief.Not too erratic idling. Thanks for all the help

Last edited by Keigo; 17 June 2004 at 09:46 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 17 June 2004, 09:48 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

But can I drive on the road, while the unburnt fuel is going through? I'd drive like a nanny obviously,but still, is it too dangerous? I still have the main cat in at the moment. Don't know if that makes any difference
Old 17 June 2004, 10:16 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't, although your 480 and 380 injectors should have same seals if you want to swap. The round o-ring is the most important at the nozzle end, sometimes when you remove an injector you leave the flat seal in the rail out of place, new injector in and it chews it up leaving it leaking.

Paul
Old 18 June 2004, 10:45 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put a little grease around them too
Old 18 June 2004, 12:33 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

David - Grease around the flat seals, is it? how does that help? I have some bike chain grease, which helped me with a few other things.Wonder if that's any good for the job.